Help please with my Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Dub

Hi there,

I am stuck and could really do with some help

I am busy with a Puma 1.7 engine conversion to my Ford Ka. I am stuck at present on a couple of things. I have the engine in place but I feel it at the wrong angle. Is there any one able to tell me what angle the engine should be sitting at? Ideally a measurement of the Hight difference between the front and back edges of the cam cover when using a level. The other problem I have is I haven't got a clue what this item is with the two wires. What is it? what does it do? and what should I do with it?

Any help would be most appreciated and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_124910.jpg
    IMG_20200418_124910.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 3,541
  • IMG_20200418_124836.jpg
    IMG_20200418_124836.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 3,541
Those wires on mine connect into the bottom of the fan housing for the rad. It's possibly a capacitor for the fan motor?
It's definitely something to do with the fan but I'm not exactly sure what.

That engine looks like a tight fit to me. Remember it's going to rock back and forth. Is there room to close the bonnet?

The angle doesn't look 'wrong' IMO, it is canted backwards a bit in the Puma but I wouldn't know the angle. From memory the Ka 1.3 pushrod engine was pretty much flat.

Good luck with the project

6fEHEci.jpg

Does this answer your question? The camcover is not flat, and the level is not 100% horizontal, and given the line of thought I would pursue and go for a roundish number, I'd call that inclination of 12 degrees....

Hope that helps

st220kyle said:
Those wires on mine connect into the bottom of the fan housing for the rad. It's possibly a capacitor for the fan motor?
It's definitely something to do with the fan but I'm not exactly sure what.
Its a fan resistor which makes the fan run on low speed.

Thank you Wild E Coyote your an absolute star! Been doing a bit gardening work to keep the wife happy. Managed to make a couple of shims to lower the front of the gearbox. Currently have a jack under the engine to get he engine, level. I am now able to closee the bonnet without having to cut too much metal away from the bonnet.i will get a bracket welded up and start adjustments to the angle before final engine mounts are made

Little Dub said:
Thank you Wild E Coyote your an absolute star! Been doing a bit gardening work to keep the wife happy. Managed to make a couple of shims to lower the front of the gearbox. Currently have a jack under the engine to get he engine, level. I am now able to closee the bonnet without having to cut too much metal away from the bonnet.i will get a bracket welded up and start adjustments to the angle before final engine mounts are made

No problems, mate! Keep us posted about the progress...!

Latest posts

Back