Budget Puma TURBO Project!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On this engine, the oil feed is from the oil pressure switch, I used a tee. And the oil return goes into the top part of the sump, just underneath the centre shaft

When I first did the set up, the dump valve was leaking air, so with the air leak after the MAF, it was running poorly and lumpy. Moving the MAF after the dump valve solved all these issues and it ran perfectly.

But, once I wanted to run more then 7psi, the pressure or turbulence created a problem with the MAF and it cut fuelling on hard acceleration. So I changed the dump valve to a better one, and moved to the MAF to the stock location and all is well!

Just read your thread mate from start to finish and firstly can I just say thank you for posting your work! You have proved beyond doubt that the puma can take some boost! I like how you did it all yourself and seemed to learned alot along the way which is great.

I puma'd my fiesta mk5 a couple of months ago thinking I would be happy with the new power, but what do you know I have been pulled on by a few gtis and vxrs and now I feel I need more! (Plus my mate just got a 170bhp A3 and I can't have him pulling on me too)

I wanted to know if you wouldn't mind talking to me about some of the aspects of your build, my email is [email protected] if you wouldn't mind getting in touch I would really appreciate it. I have some different ideas for turbos I would like to run by you and a few questions I would like to ask about your megajolt and fuelling setup. I study engineering at uni and have been a car enthusiast ever since I can remember so I am sure we will be able to chat about cars no problem :)

PumaNoob said:
[post]268360[/post] I think if you fitted a focus 1.8 clutch, you'd be ok on 180ish, really depends on torque over bhp. I ran an organic clutch up to around 170bhp and it was fine but I don't have a clue what torque I was running. It was about 7psi of boost.

landed on my feet there then when i last changed my clutch i had the flywheel skimmed and got a focus 1.8 clutch now im getting the rest ready to turbo with a few saab parts that i got off a saab i was let have what i wanted also after i changed my clutch it was so good and smooth

Jason

:p :thumbs: :eek:k:

Hello there I'm rather.nee to this online forum stuff. But I'm currently the owner of my 4th puma. I have a thunder and so seeing on turbo conversion I would like a detailed list of part that fit and I should get such as manifold... I'm scratching my head on where I can find a turbo manifold ? And what turbo to fit ? What injectors and what fuel pump .... my puma engine has been looked after recently every gasket pretty much possible has been changed so any shopping list would be helpful ... Cheers Neil

I know this is an old thread now but I've just read it start to finish.

I've been on the fence between a 1.7 Puma or another MX5. I was leaning towards the MX5 as they're so easy to add boost (I've had two, one turbo, one n/a) but SWMBO wants another Puma. The idea of a boosted Puma is now very appealing.

It would certainly be a very good project to get your teeth in to.. more so if you are able to weld/fabricate.. although things like a custom turbo manifold are available 'off the shelf' if you don't mind paying a bit of a premium for the pleasure.
If you chose parts carefully you can do it reasonably cheap if you keep standard internals and you keep boost below around 6psi.

I started a 'budget' turbocharger project but struggled with some fabricating. I didn't have the funds to throw money at things and I have no welding skills.
My initial costing for a turbo conversion was around £800 but I'm sure I could have got that cost down a bit if I was more careful with parts I bought and could get someone to do the fabricating... plus some things I bought I didn't need.

I've since converted to a supercharger instead as there was no immediate need to do a custom manifold, but typically I am now friends with a guy who lives 4 doors away from me who is a welder/fabricator!

A turbo install may be something I will return to in the future.. even if it's just to say I did it.

It certainly looks an interesting project, you're right.

Can I check I've understood correctly though, up to 6/7psi there's no need for any ECU changes or to the fuelling at all, not even a rising regulator/VMU type device? What about the timing, is that stock or retarded a little?

I was told only max 6psi on stock internals and no decompression plate and use a fuel pressure regulator. Can't remember what rate the regulator is but I'm pretty sure the info is somewhere in this thread.

Everything else is stock.

Does anyone know if PumaNoob is still around? I PM'd him a while back but it hasn't been read so far as I can tell.

Wild E. Coyote said:
He is not frequenting the site regularely, but I have texted him and he will come around :wink:

Thanks, wasn't sure if he had a business page or something I could head to.

Latest posts

Back