Help with parts

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

Hoffman do a nice centre silencer delete and a back box they call 'race tube' but it's pretty subtle and not too noisy at all. From memory about £70 for both. They are not stainless but mine seems to be lasting ok. I got mine on eBay.

This is the centre bit. It says for 1.6 & 1.7 though, I don't know if 1.4 uses a smaller system?

Grogee , I note the company that you have included the link for above is currently selling the Hoffman rear box for £390!!
Perhaps he's made an error with the listing, as he won't sell any at that price .

I word of caution, I bought those items and the noise was loud compared to the standard exhaust. And the fit wasn't quite right, the mechanic at the garage had to bend the tubes with heat to get it to fit. I had to go back twice, the mechanics at the garage are very competent.

Yes the 1.4 I believe has a smaller diameter pipe.

Yeah £390 isn't right, it should be £39. Mine isn't a perfect fit but certainly didn't need any bending. Saying that, I'm not using much of the centre part as I've got my own DIY catalyst and pipes there

I have fitted 2 of those.. not on the same car!

The first one I bought was all one piece and fitted great. For an 'aftermarket' item I was surprised at how well it fitted.
The second one I recently fitted wasn't so nice. It came in 2 pieces with a clamped join in the middle and the overall fit was quite bad. The clamp in the middle banged/vibrated against the bottom of the car.. in the end I had to swap and move the rubber hangers to make the rear exhaust tip sit in the wrong place to gain enough clearance so it didn't bang.

That ebay seller are listing the whole Hoffman system as £740! Presumably that should be £74?

Does anyone know what difference the centre pipe makes when mounted to a standard backbox?

You will notice a lot of eBay sellers over price their items when they are out of stock so they don't have to end & remake the listings each time.
I had my intercooler kit in my watch list for several months at over £600. I message them asking if the price was correct and they replied stating the item was out of stock and would be corrected when they had new stock.

What difference does it make on a standard rear box? Probably not much.. maybe a little noisier but the exhaust note should be a lot better. Biggest difference would probably be under acceleration.
You will find depending on what silencers etc. you have.. it can cause the exhaust to 'drone' and it's damn annoying.

Latest posts

Back