Non starter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wombat

Hi all, hope someone can sharer some insight. My Millie has been stood standing for about a year now I fully charged the battery and tried to restart her but she won’t fire at all. She’s had new plugs and still nothing. Can anyone help? Also can someone please tell me if the fuel cut off should be in or out!

Regards

Cut off is normally fully out. When you turn the ignition can you hear the pump prime?, if not dead pump. This happened to me, stupidly I replaced it with a cheap pump that lasted all of 60 miles!!!!!

I believe the red 'button' in the fuel cut off should be pushed down.

As above... pump should prime/run for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on. If not, check:
Fuel cut off
Fuel pump fuse

If fuse has blown it's is almost guaranteed the pump will have failed - common issue when the pumps have stood idle for long periods.
Just the pump itself can be changed without the need to replace the whole pump/sender unit.

More precise information would help.
Does it turn over?
If it turns over, does it "cough" or otherwise sound act like its trying to fire?
If it tries to fire, have you tried giving it a little throttle?
Can you hear the fuel pump start?
Dummy check: does it have gas in the tank?
Do you have a CEL and if so, have you read the codes?
Was any work done while it was sitting idle?

Thank you all for the replies, I can’t hear the pump prime. I have checked the fuses, and none are blown. She did splutter the first time but not since. I have a new fuel filter and will try changing f the pump, if I can find one for less than £100!

If the pump isn't starting, the next step is to confirm if its getting voltage or not. Use a voltmeter at the connector closest to the pump to check for 12v when the key is on.

Latest posts

Back