FRP fibreglass body kit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am aware that Pumaspeed sell a kit but I have seen reference to people buying panels from a chap that made them from this forum.
Anyway I will soon need to buy a kit to complete my build, as I am a tight git and I have spent plenty so far I was wondering if anyone had any parts/kit they no longer needed and wanted to sell.
I would ideally like to have used original parts or the ones that expressed steel make but at the moment the budget won’t allow and I would like to get the car on the road for summer. I could always then review original parts as and when funds allow.

Hi,
Kieran on this site made a kit a few years back. There is a tread here somewhere with photos. They were utter rubbish. Be careful. Having spent 18 years in the fiberglass boat building industry I am expertly qualified to make that statement.
Regards
Richard

Hi.

Well,l I do know how to do it and because of that it probably would not be viable even if I had a workshop. But however I do know a company, Fibersports near Basildon Essex who have a long history of producing and supplying quality GRP products. They have supplied F! teams and kit car manufacturers. When I get round to doing the splitter I will be taking it there. Perhaps a possibility for them to do the kits if there is the demand.

I have often thought about producing a a Puma/FRP body kit which would be a bit scaled down from the FRP. Imaging having a really good kit that captures the essence of the FRP but not so extreme so it would not be as wide or bulbus on the front end but would still have the look and character of a FRP. It could be done so the original suspension, driveshafts and steering is retained. The extra width in those areas achieved by wheel and spacer combination. The rear is no problem as it can be done with axel and wheel spacers. It is the mechanical aspect of the FRP conversion which is the main problem. If someone has a Puma that needs new front wings and spray work part of a conversion cost is covered from what they would spend on standard body work.

Any thoughts out there?

Regards,
Richard.

Oh Richard you are a tease!! :grin:
I would be interested in the cost of an FRP body kit if they would consider making one. I also like the sound/idea of the “scaled down” FRP kit as you say to help address in the increased wheel track.
I had sourced FRP front huds, drive shafts and power steering rack only for the guy to decide he now wants double the agreed price when I went to collect them, hence gutted I returned home empty handed. I did for one minute nearly agree stupidly to the new deal as these items are becoming harder to come by.
As you say the rear track is easier to overcome with just spacers, wheel offset and rear disc on conversion

Hi.
To Make moulds first a plug has to be made either off existing FRP body panels, or as an alternative moulds can be taken off an actual standard Puma that has been altered to FRP shape or a scaled down version. Arches on the wings and quarter panels can be closed cell foam bonded on with epoxy resin then profiled, very easy to shape and sand to the required shape. Then glassed over with chopped strand matt and polyester resin, then skimmed with body filler and final finish. In fact if the project was to be a one off this would be by far the easier and cheapest way to do it. A custom job to fit the mechanics of the vehicle.

Regards,
Richard

Latest posts

Back