My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Red
Yes there's loads of green laning available but I want to do it legally, ie not getting an ASBO and getting the bike crushed. I've just joined Facebook to get in with a greenlaning group but I also know a guy in the next village that does greenlaning so looking forward to it. As you know bikes are great fun and I discovered in my early 20s that off road bikes are fun to ride particularly 2 strokes. If you fancy it join up with a local group and give it a go. Even on the road off road bikes are fun.

There's a bit of fenland nearby that we used to walk to bike too when I was about 15 and that was quite good, but I think you'd get a bit bored of just that for a hobby place.

I think there must be somewhere else close as the bikes (no number plates on) come tearing past my house out of the village and then back again a little while later. I don't get the impression that they are too concerned with legalities though which like you say, isn't how I'd want to approach it.

I gave up MotoX biking many many years ago (any motorbiking actually :lol: )
The last "crosser" I had was a KX500 which was - in a good way - an absolute monster!!
I nearly took my left foot off at the ankle as I blasted through a cutting and didn't see a huge boulder hidden in the grass - it hurt but foot stayed attached :lol:

Got rid of it a few months later as I hardly used it, either way I sold it for a massive profit which always pleases me :lol:

From what I've heard but not totally confirmed yet the best option for greenlaning is BOATS or Byways Open To All Traffic so your bike and you have to be legal but it is completely legal to do. I live in the countryside quite near to Holmfirth and apparently there are loads of roads over the moors etc. I love motocrossers but my days of riding ferocious two strokes that want to kill you are definitely over. Both of the DRZ's and the KTM are quite docile compared to your old Kwak.

tuonokid said:
my days of riding ferocious two strokes that want to kill you are definitely over

Kudos to you stil riding though, I gave up a long time ago. After I binned my Cagiva (shitty Ducati engine took a wobbly so I had to bail fast! :lol:)
Then I ended up giving my FZR600RR away to a "friend" as a deal to flatten/torch/raise my rear garden down to soil. Bike had been sat in my garage for c12 years as I couldn't be arsed with it. He reneged on the deal after I was stupid enough to give him the bike mid deal, suffice to say, he is no longer a "friend".

The FZR was pretty much goosed by then anyway as the tank had sprung a leak while sat, the forks were spongy as hell, needed chain & sprockets, brake pads & caliper rebulds, along with a few plastics, and a "legal" exhaust system as it was running a racing can. The engine would turn over but my guess was it, and the carbs, needed a damn good internal clean or rebuild despite doing less than 15k miles. Tyres were good though - although old :lol:

I heard he'd managed to get it going & had turned it into a street fighter then sold it, and the left over parts, on for a little earner - TW@T :fists: :lol:

What a mate he turned out to be. I've had my Aprilia Tuono since 2007 but have been less and less interested every year but half way through last year I decided to restart my biking career and TBH I've really enjoyed it. With the DRZ400 SM I've now got the perfect winter bike so I've done about 1500 miles on it through the winter and it's been good. I taxed the Aprilia last Friday so the first nice dry day I'll be out on it and I'm really looking forward to it.

Well, still on here but not posted for ages. I'm still taking the Puma to shows and it is getting some recognition now but it's getting ready for another cambelt change and some, minor bodywork and unfortunately I have no space for this as my garage is full of motorbikes and Westfields. I will have to try harder for this next year.

Back