Fuel filler rubber pipe

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotfuz

The main fuel rubber hose running from the filler to the tank has perished at the base adjacent to the top of the tank & jubilee clip.
Sadly only noticed when I filled the car up with petrol yesterday. I’ve managed to order a replacement from my local Ford dealer, part number: 1033273 however my question is this:

As I now have a full tank of fuel, does the fuel actually sit within this rubber pipe & similarly would it sit past the second join to the plastic pipe? I’m hoping it sits lower than the first join in order to replace the pipe without the faff of petrol going everywhere.

Did try to siphon some fuel from the filler neck but that failed.

Not sure about the pipe, but if you want to remove some of the fuel the first thing I would do (after failing to syphon the old way :lol:) would be to fit a pipe to the shrader valve on the injection rail, it's like a bike tyre valve if you were unaware so you'd have to remove/unscrew the pin inside first, then fit on a suitable tube, then turn on the ignition to the first click so the fuel pump primes. This "should", if my memory is correct, start pumping out the fuel from the tank to give you some space to work with.

Of course, make sure you only do it for short periods so as to not overwork the pump.

I did it a few weeks back on my RX8 as an almost full tank of fuel had been sat in that for 3 years to date so I syphoned off c5 gallons - 22 litres to be precise :lol: then put it into my Ka so it doesn't go to waste. All I had to do was unclip a fuel pipe & then bridge a connection in the fuse box under the bonnet which started up the fuel pump on command & it was surprisingly quick to fill up each container I was using. Not sure if this can be done on the Puma too as it makes it much simpler doing the process all in arms-reach/eye-sight of each other.

Mine perished too and I had to fork out for a replacement as it's not a standard size. I paid something like £40 for the Ford item, if you can still find one.

From memory it will sit in the pipe if you've filled it right up. Yippee's suggestion is a good one or you could just put a big bucket under the pipe and remove the pipe from tank and catch the drips. No smoking!!!

Disconnect the fuel line at the rail and bridge the fuel pump relay.I wouldn't imagine overloading the pump would be problem as there's no pressure with the line off.

Latest posts

Back