I need help installing my radio

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filipe1990

Hello,

Yes, I've searched (and not only on this forum) but I can't find the solution for my specific problem.

I've got my first ford puma, however, the place where the radio should be looks like this:
dg6h35.jpg

I can't figure out what cable does what, I can't find a diagram for the cables and colors of a ford puma anywhere, some users on this forum suggested to buy some ISO Wiring Harness connector, but if you look at the picture, there's no place to conect such cable. And there's no manual for this on my car either

I would really appreciate any help because I'm trying to find any answer for this without luck...

Thanks in advance!
Filipe

That looks like the connector block has been cut off?

What you ideally need is a picture of the connector block for that model year

red said:
That looks like the connector block has been cut off?

What you ideally need is a picture of the connector block for that model year

Thank you for answering!

I'm not sure what a connector block is, I'm googling "ford puma connector block" but I get a lot of different things.
Could you show me exactly what it is? My car is a ford puma 1.7 16V

Thanks!

It'd probably help more if it had a colour key too. :eek:k:

Cherie said:
It'd probably help more if it had a colour key too. :eek:k:

Yea X3
I'm looking at the picture Dal uploaded and then I look at my picture, I can't figure out wich one is "Pin 1" "Pin 2" etc...

this is what you need
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Stereo-Lead-Car-Radio-Repair-Loom-to-Bare-Wires-/140961735300?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20d1f96284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and then use the correct lead from ford plug to iso plug

It looks to me as if someone didn't bother to get the adaptor and cut the wires and then connected them on pins of a stereo....
The link on eBay from previous post is the right thing for you. Hopefully, you should just soldier the same colour wires together...

Well I guess I'll just buy that thing from ebay...

The colours still look diferent, on my picture, I have 2 orange cables, one green and one blue... I guess I would connect the orange cables to the red cables from that thing on ebay, also the green to the black, blue to the blue (the only color that looks correct)
I might even try to connect these cables directly to my radio, following this logic, it might work

Thank you for the help!

Does this picture I took in 2006 help?

DSC_0008.jpg

You might want to see if you can trace the wires back to the original loom to confirm the colours to make sure you'll not blow something up when you connect it!

As long as he doesn't connect live (i.e. red) wire to chassis or something similar, he should be OK...
May I recommend to download a manual of his own radio; there should be wire diagram with descriptions of all the wires and then start from there?
I would try to bring the radio to life first. So, would look for live and ground wires (presumably red and black, as is customary). If he has two lives (orange, IIRC) one is probably switchable over key, other permanent. AFter radio swithes itself on, you would have to poke pairs for the speakers. one by one. At this point you can't blow anything; the speaker will either work, or won't!

That would be better than trying to 'match' wires up. :eek:k:

Guys I appreciate the help, but I dont think any of these photos or products help...
the cables in my car have different colors
I Have, 2 orange cables with a black line
one blue cable with a black line,
and a green cable with a black line
(I'm not gonna talk about the speaker cables, as I cant even power my radio)

On my radio I have a red cable (it says 12v plus)
a yellow cable (memory12v+)
blue (power antenna)
and black (ground)

I've tried to connect the 2 orange cables from the car to the yellow and red from the radio, and the green cable from my car to the black from the radio, (the closest I can get to the picture Dal posted) it does nothing, from here I could just connect cables at random, and that's probably not a good idea... the products from ebay wont work, it's the same problem, the colors on the cables are different... and I would try to connect cables at random again...

I really dont know what to do from here, the cables on my ford pume have different colors from your pictures (again, 2 orange, one green and one blue)

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate, I cant find a way to make this radio work...
Thanks in advance!

Have you actually tried to measure all the cables on puma? One of them should read +12V.... You can do it using a bulb: one end of a bulb connect to chassis (i.e. ground, -12V), and other one use to try the wires. When bulb lights up, you have found your +12V....

What's your year of manufacture?
Wiring harness/ colours varied over the years.

Wild E. Coyote said:
Have you actually tried to measure all the cables on puma? One of them should read +12V.... You can do it using a bulb: one end of a bulb connect to chassis (i.e. ground, -12V), and other one use to try the wires. When bulb lights up, you have found your +12V....

I've checked the fuses on my car, apparently the fuse from the radio was broken!
I bought some fuses from a store, with a small tool that has a bulb, (to check the energy from the wires)
I did what you've told be, I also replaced the fuse.
The blue wire from my car is actually the one that transports energy!, I was able to finaly power up my radio (connecting the blue wire to the red AND yellow from the radio) and the green wire from my car is probably the ground.

YOG said:
What's your year of manufacture?
Wiring harness/ colours varied over the years.

My car is from March 1998
a correct diagram for this car would be usefull as I'm still not sure wich cables belong to what speaker. But I'm happy that my radio is finally working, if it's not possible to find a diagram, it's fine, I'll try to figure out what cable belongs to each speaker (maybe using a small batery and connecting to 2 random cables and check wich speaker makes noise)

Thank you for the help again ;)

Wild E. Coyote said:
Well done! Out of interest; what did you install?

Thanks.
It's nothing amazing.
It's a Clatronic AR-820 (I can't find it on the clatronic site itself, only on sites like ebay/amazon etc)
However, for a radio with sd card, usb, aux and support to mp3, or wma (I don't like wma but anyway) it was actually very cheap (at least here in portugal)

I've also replaced the default speakers (one was actually damaged) With my focal speakers (that I was using on my last car) They didn't fit so I had do make some modifications on the doors :p (I'm surprised it turned out great)

I just wich I could play music a bit louder, this radio is 4 x 40 Watt, I'm not an expert but I believe in this case I need an amplifier. It's even harder to listen properly when I'm driving faster, the natural noise you hear from driving on highways forces you to play music louder and it gets all distorted.

By the way, I found 3 more cables that where cut from the car >:C
You can actually see them on my picture (at the beggining of this thread) On the left side, Inside the yellow ducktape, you might need to look closely... My radio resets everything when I turn off my car, One of those cut cables is probably the one that keeps the radio's memory "awake" even if I turn of my car...

Latest posts

Back