How can i syphon half a tank of fuel?!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adampuma

Just bought a doner car for parts i need, has half a tank of fuel that i want! Is there an anyi syphon device? How can i get it out the most sensible way?

remove the windscreen washer pump and hoses from the doner and make yourself a little electric fuel pump :)

I think IanG has a way to do it via the fuel filter hose and turning the pump on and off to let it pump itself empty

Lift the back seat and identify the petrol tank wires. cut them (leave long) and identify the two thickest wires. strip them back.

Whip out the battery tray and plonk .a gallon can in the gap, then disconnect the white petrol pipe and stick it in the can.
hook your pump wires to a car battery (Black is negative) , you should hear the pump run, filling the can.

Be warned its quick and a gallon can will fill in about a minute, when nearly full just disconnect battery , empty can and start again.

WARNING- Petrol likes to explode and kill you. Do it outside, dont smoke and watch for spillages.

Thats how I do it...
Stu..

Car battery and bare wires above the fuel tank, yep thats why petrol likes to explode and kill you :!:

You can of course simply buy a hand pump syphon device, no electricity, no sparks, reduces the risk a little me thinks

????
you would be working inside the passenger compartment.
it takes 5 mins and uses a actual petrol pump and petrol lines to pump petrol. into a petrol can.
if sparks are a concern, use a switch
and never get your car welded (or use the cig lighter)
I suppose having an electric motor INSIDE the tank is dangerous too!

Also have you seen the length of the filler pipe, syphoning is almost impossible

trust me I do this regularly, no spills, no waste.

Disconnect the white pipe on the fuel rail top right of the engine and run that in to a container.

Remove the fuel cut off in the passenger footwell and put 12v to the middle pin on the plug.

No need to cut wires.

Ian G said:
Disconnect the white pipe on the fuel rail top right of the engine and run that in to a container.

Remove the fuel cut off in the passenger footwell and put 12v to the middle pin on the plug.

No need to cut wires.

Hi,
I'm going to scrap my puma :cry: I've had it since 2006...the oil warning light came on 4 years ago and then the engine starting making loud noise (thought it was my exhaust had blown at first). Checked my dip stick and oil was at low - topped it up - but engine still making loud noise and oil warning light still on. Put into the lockup and bought another car.

My idea was to fix it up (wheel arches starting to bubble and last 2 MOT's had underneath welding - but more advised in future)...I'm now admitting defeat and have decided that the lockup space is more valuable.

It had 3/4 a tank of fuel in it when I put it there...am now hoping to get the fuel out before scrapping. Tried to siphon from the tank with hand pump - no joy.

Can you help? Where is the fuel rail on the engine? Can you help please?

Elle-Jay said:
Ian G said:

No need to cut wires.

Hi,
I'm going to scrap my puma :cry: I've had it since 2006...the oil warning light came on 4 years ago and then the engine starting making loud noise (thought it was my exhaust had blown at first). Checked my dip stick and oil was at low - topped it up - but engine still making loud noise and oil warning light still on. Put into the lockup and bought another car.

My idea was to fix it up (wheel arches starting to bubble and last 2 MOT's had underneath welding - but more advised in future)...I'm now admitting defeat and have decided that the lockup space is more valuable.

It had 3/4 a tank of fuel in it when I put it there...am now hoping to get the fuel out before scrapping. Tried to siphon from the tank with hand pump - no joy.

Can you help? Where is the fuel rail on the engine? Can you help please?
Petrol has a shelf life I'd reckon it is not worth the effort or risk.

Thanks. That's helpful. Saves me trying to solve this. Time to say goodbye to my much loved Puma now...

Yeah, petrol gets old & I last filled my RX8 up in October 2019, still got over ¾ of a tank as it's been sat in my garage without moving for over 2 years :lol:

I was going to empty the majority of it & put it in my other car but it still burns ok as I fired her up yesterday with no problem while I was mowing the lawn.

Thing is, I have a 5 litre can with petrol that I bought for my old strimmer that is still over half full & that crap is well over a decade old & still fires up despite it also having been premixed with 2-stroke (just tried it :lol:).
I'd have used it all up but the exhaust fell off so I bought a new electric strimmer a few years back.

Latest posts

Back