Strut braces

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn_

Post pics of your strut braces and also post your opinions on these. Do the pumas handle even better with them or are they a bit harsh.

So your opinions please.

They improve handling indeed. I've got a complete set from OMP

OMP front lower is a fantastic upgrade.

Doesnt make the car any harsher, in fact it makes it nicer as its flatter through the bends.

Have them on my 1.7 Puma, my MK4 Fezzy and the GF's Fezzy.

Probably the best £35 I've ever spent on a car. Oh and they definatley increase tyre life :grin:

Wild E. Coyote said:
Would you say the front strut brace reduces oversteer?

Yes, the front lower reduces tyre roll quite dramatically so improves steering in general.

I only have front lower, from what others have said I think the front lower has most beneficial effect, then the rear upper, finally the front top.

I sincerely hate the omp's :grin:
Too flimsy, do not offer a lot of structural rigidity, and do not recommend drilling into panels, as they tend to rust around.
I got custom struts all around, welded ofc, and deffinetly improves overall handling :p
Do recommend them, but not for daily use as the ride gets a bit harsh/stiff :!:

Slyvr said:
..... and do not recommend drilling into panels,....

Thats why I like the front lower, bolts up, no drilling or other damage but very effective.

Certainly thats not flimsy, one of mine still going strong after 8 years driving and bunny decapitating.

IanC said:
Certainly thats not flimsy
Rear one flexes if you lean onto it, and its purpose is to stop the entire body to flex, so would not trust my money going into one of those other than for aesthetic reasons :? Lower arms one i think is the only properly built one. But that's just my opinion :p

Ive just learnt to weld so I was gonna have a go at making some. So the front strut top brace isnt as good as the bottom brace.

Glenn_ said:
Ive just learnt to weld so I was gonna have a go at making some. So the front strut top brace isnt as good as the bottom brace.

Sounds good, I would buy the lower one and make the rest. Anything you can make well yourself is always cool :cool: .

Slyvr said:
IanC said:
Certainly thats not flimsy
Rear one flexes if you lean onto it, and its purpose is to stop the entire body to flex, so would not trust my money going into one of those other than for aesthetic reasons :? Lower arms one i think is the only properly built one. But that's just my opinion :p

If the rear really is that bendy then I would say I probably share your opinion :p :lol:

Yeh I might give it a go. I take it when fitting the bottom brace you have to take the suspension arm bolts out and put the bolt through the brace

Glenn_ said:
I take it when fitting the bottom brace you have to take the suspension arm bolts out and put the bolt through the brace
Undo the wishbone front bolts, put the bolt through the brace and back through the wishbone and tighten accordingly.

You'll need a deep socket to reach the bolt once the brace is on.

I'm hating reading about all the good effects of the front lower brace.... I've got to take mine off to get the turbo intercooler piping in. :'(

Slyvr said:
Rear one flexes if you lean onto it...

That's not the same force pushing on it when mounted. Try flexing it from the outer edges...not that easy

CherryVimto said:
I'm hating reading about all the good effects of the front lower brace.... I've got to take mine off to get the turbo intercooler piping in. :'(

But you have a turbo, i'd give up my strut brace for a turbo :p :lol: #turboenvy

Cool. Ive found a piece of pipe to do as a rear strut brace for the Pooma. I will have to get it welded in.

On my Puma, i have a front lower strut brace OMP, i feel it's improve handling

but don't use this strut brace if your car is lowered ...

for the rear and upper strut brace, Wiechers sport made great product ...
a lot better than the OMP on the quality of steel and welding ...

http://www.wiechers-sport.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May I interject with what I suspect will be a stupid question..?

Do rear upper braces have to be welded on? I put my two rather large dogs in the back of my car on occasion so would like a rear brace I could remove when necessary.

ArtfulHussy said:
May I interject with what I suspect will be a stupid question..?

Do rear upper braces have to be welded on? I put my two rather large dogs in the back of my car on occasion so would like a rear brace I could remove when necessary.
No, in a word. Because the rear upper wedges in between the turrets it effectively braces without the need to weld. However, the front upper must be welded to obtain any benefit other than esthetic

Latest posts

Back