Paul's Silver Puma

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

mmc757
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: Other

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by mmc757 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:24 pm

You could convert PS to electric.
Either by installing an electric pump,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=electric+p ... _sb_noss_1
or replacing the hydraulics altogether with a steering column motor.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/150-ele ... -delivers/

I doubt the weight difference would be much, but it removes the draw from the motor.
0 x
Cougar nut, wanting a Puma to match the Cougars, waiting out the absurd 25 year import limit for the USA
Semper Purrisimo

PaulZ
Project Regular
Project Regular
Model: 1.7

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by PaulZ » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm

That's a good suggestion. I know it's pretty common on track Clio's to do this as well.

Do you have any experience with fitting EPAS?

Paul Z
0 x

siju
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: 1.4

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by siju » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:17 am

IMHO I wouldn't want to mess with the PS. One of the best features of the puma is its steering. It's quick, precise and with nice feedback. Especially if you drive newer cars with EPAS and then dirve the puma you immediately see the added feedeback its steering has so you can judge accurately the available traction.

Alex
0 x

PaulZ
Project Regular
Project Regular

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by PaulZ » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:47 pm

If your just replacing the fluid pump with an electric alternative you haven't actually changed anything that provides the mechanical feedback. You do get the benefit of less load on the engine as mmc757 says.

I wouldn't go for a replacement column or rack though because then you will loose that feedback you mention.

Cheers
Paul Z
Last edited by PaulZ on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

mmc757
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: Other

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by mmc757 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:25 pm

PaulZ wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:47 pm
If your just replacing the fluid pump with an electric alternative you haven't actually changed anything that provides the mechanic feedback. You do get the benefit of less load on the engine as mmc757 says.

I wouldn't go for a replacement column or rack though because then you will loose that feedback you mention.

Cheers
Paul Z
Thats kind of my thought too. The idea of getting rid of extra stuff in the engine bay is nice but the truth is that unless you have other plans for that space, there's no real advantage to the steering column motor vs an electric pump. Plus, you could put an electric pump pretty much anywhere you want anyway so even the space advantage is dubious at best.
0 x
Cougar nut, wanting a Puma to match the Cougars, waiting out the absurd 25 year import limit for the USA
Semper Purrisimo

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:04 pm

I would recommend using the EHPAS from Toyota MR2, the later model. It is all in one unit with ECU incorporated and you get to keep the steering rack as it is. Check my thread for details on that
0 x

PaulZ
Project Regular
Project Regular

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by PaulZ » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:24 am

Thanks Wild E. I'll have a look back through your thread.
Was it a relatively straightforward swap?

Cheers
Paul Z
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Not done yet, but all planned for!
1 x

PaulZ
Project Regular
Project Regular

Paul's Silver Puma

Post by PaulZ » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:30 am

Next update then. I have been trying to make the most of the Covid quite time so managed to get a few more things done on the car.

I actually did this a little while ago now but hadn’t gotten round to writing it up till now. With the FRP air box mod completed in the last update, naturally I needed to get this fitted. I probably went a bit far and took this as an opportunity to remove the bumper. It also meant I could check for rust and have a bash at making a splitter using trublustu’s guide.
(viewtopic.php?t=32172)

First up then. Removing the front bumper and old air box. Happy to report it was pretty clean under the bumper.

Next up was onto marking up and cutting out of the splitter.

After that I treated the wood with a couple of coats of exterior varnish and then finally finished off with some exterior black paint. The finish isn’t perfect but since it’s a first attempt and probably going to take a hammering from stones I am not too worried.

Then it was time to refit the bumper. I also took the decision to remove the rubber skirt behind the little side openings in an attempt to get a bit more cool air to the inside of the wheel wells. It’s not ducted so we will see how it goes and maybe look at that in the future. Also the picture makes the finish look awful. It’s not actually like that. It is just dust and dirt that’s stuck on from me fitting and removing the bumper when I was trial fitting and marking things up before it all went together properly.

Lastly then was to refit the new FRP air box. I have kept the original side feed in place but blanked off the resonator box. The new FRP feed pipe is then receiving cold air piped in by some ducting from behind the front grill.

There we go then, That’s the latest so far. I do have another update which should be ready very soon. I am just trying to finalise the last few bits so hopefully have another update shortly.

Cheers
Paul Z
1 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”