Help please with my Puma

General discussion area relating to the Ford Puma, any off topic or threads that are deemed chat/waffle will be moved to the relevant areas! Please keep ON TOPIC at all times.

Moderator: Moderators

Little Dub
Model: 1.7

Help please with my Puma

Post by Little Dub » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi there,

I am stuck and could really do with some help

I am busy with a Puma 1.7 engine conversion to my Ford Ka. I am stuck at present on a couple of things. I have the engine in place but I feel it at the wrong angle. Is there any one able to tell me what angle the engine should be sitting at? Ideally a measurement of the Hight difference between the front and back edges of the cam cover when using a level. The other problem I have is I haven't got a clue what this item is with the two wires. What is it? what does it do? and what should I do with it?

Any help would be most appreciated and thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_20200418_124836.jpg
IMG_20200418_124910.jpg
0 x

st220kyle
Adolescent
Adolescent

Help please with my Puma

Post by st220kyle » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 am

Those wires on mine connect into the bottom of the fan housing for the rad. It's possibly a capacitor for the fan motor?
It's definitely something to do with the fan but I'm not exactly sure what.
0 x

grogee
Project Regular
Project Regular

Help please with my Puma

Post by grogee » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm

That engine looks like a tight fit to me. Remember it's going to rock back and forth. Is there room to close the bonnet?

The angle doesn't look 'wrong' IMO, it is canted backwards a bit in the Puma but I wouldn't know the angle. From memory the Ka 1.3 pushrod engine was pretty much flat.

Good luck with the project
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Help please with my Puma

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Does this answer your question? The camcover is not flat, and the level is not 100% horizontal, and given the line of thought I would pursue and go for a roundish number, I'd call that inclination of 12 degrees....

Hope that helps
1 x

CherryVimto
Guru!
Guru!
Model: Other

Help please with my Puma

Post by CherryVimto » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:09 am

st220kyle wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 am
Those wires on mine connect into the bottom of the fan housing for the rad. It's possibly a capacitor for the fan motor?
It's definitely something to do with the fan but I'm not exactly sure what.
Its a fan resistor which makes the fan run on low speed.
0 x

Little Dub

Help please with my Puma

Post by Little Dub » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 pm

Thank you Wild E Coyote your an absolute star! Been doing a bit gardening work to keep the wife happy. Managed to make a couple of shims to lower the front of the gearbox. Currently have a jack under the engine to get he engine, level. I am now able to closee the bonnet without having to cut too much metal away from the bonnet.i will get a bracket welded up and start adjustments to the angle before final engine mounts are made
0 x

Little Dub

Help please with my Puma

Post by Little Dub » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Thanks Cherry Vimto
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Help please with my Puma

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:35 am

Little Dub wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 pm
Thank you Wild E Coyote your an absolute star! Been doing a bit gardening work to keep the wife happy. Managed to make a couple of shims to lower the front of the gearbox. Currently have a jack under the engine to get he engine, level. I am now able to closee the bonnet without having to cut too much metal away from the bonnet.i will get a bracket welded up and start adjustments to the angle before final engine mounts are made
No problems, mate! Keep us posted about the progress...!
1 x

Return to “Puma Area”