Loosen odometer speedo cable (can't remove it)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

Hello guys, i have some problems when i try to take out my old odometer, when i unscrew all the screws, and i try to take out, i feel the rope is too hard, and i haven't so much space to uscrew it with hands, can i loosen the rope under the car? In this method i think the odometer go out and i can unscrew the rope behind it with much space, anyone have tried it? :cry:

There should be enough slack to remove it from behind the odometer, the other end is connected to the gearbox so you could try starting from that end to see if you can give it the extra at the cluster.

SENATEpumA said:
The end of the cable just unscrews from the top of the gearbox speed sensor.

To remove the whole speed sensor itself, it rotates/unscrews from the gearbox. The worst part of doing that is getting something big enough on it to turn it, as the space around it was very tight. (small adjustable spanner)
Disconnect speedo cable and electrical plug first.

Today i have tried to found it, but i haven't see nothing! :'( no one have a photo of this cable? :cry:

I do not, I never had the cable driven version, I believe it to be just on top of the gearbox with the sensor

SENATEpumA said:
The end of the cable just unscrews from the top of the gearbox speed sensor.

To remove the whole speed sensor itself, it rotates/unscrews from the gearbox. The worst part of doing that is getting something big enough on it to turn it, as the space around it was very tight. (small adjustable spanner)
Disconnect speedo cable and electrical plug first.

This was my post under a previous username.

If the gauge cluster is 'analogue' there will be a speedo cable.

Yes, it will be quite tight behind the gauge cluster.

The gearbox end of the speedo cable will go to the gearbox but towards the back of it. It is quite easy to find.. the speedo cable is quite thick. It screws on to the gearbox speed sensor which is black with a wire on it.
If you look on the right side of the engine, on the top of the gearbox, the speedo cable is towards the back of the gearbox towards the bulkhead.

Attachments

• Gearbox.png
    Gearbox.png
    769 KB · Views: 576
The picture above shows the speed sensor for a digital gauge cluster.

The analogue cluster will have a speedo cable that screws on to the top of that speed sensor...

Thanks guys!!!! Very helpfull!!! Finally i have done it! Now i have installed a new speedo, the old one had some scretch in the front "glass" and the speed indicator doesn't work well, but now i have a new one and it runs perfect! Thanks guys :cool:

Back