Very Hard Suspension... Ideas Please!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordPuma_Shearer

I know that the Puma has a hard ride but how hard am i expecting it to be.

Currently my car runs on 16" alloys which are low profiles an front top and bottom struts.

My problem is that the car is so very hard when it comes to going over speed bumps or slightly uneven roads. I have to crawl really slowly over them or the car thuds and bangs on the suspension, it actually whacks the suspension and bottoms out.

Any ideas to what could be causing this or is it normal, as i like to car but it does wear abit when this keeps happening

Sounds as though your shocks need replacing.

Would be my guess too. 16 inch wheels are bigger than what ford designed it for. (even though its not much more)

Any garage should be able to get them and fit them. Cherie's Millie had it's done last summer - about £40 a pair for Sachs ones if I remember correctly plus fitting charge.

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01252.jpg

DSC01253.jpg

As for uprated ones, cheapest full kits start at around £250 plus fitting, up to anywhere near £600 for coilovers.

I dont think i can afford the uprated ones, not after my recent expense on the puma... i will inquire at my local garage about getting standard replacements

Dal said:
Any garage should be able to get them and fit them. Cherie's Millie had it's done last summer - about £40 a pair for Sachs ones if I remember correctly plus fitting charge.

Can you remember where you got them?

Thanks.

Think mine need changing too, that and the arb things that knock-all this expense coming at just the wrong time, just gonna leave it till MOT time which is next month.
Like yours, mine's suspension has got very hard recently, sure it wasn;t always like that!

YOG said:
Dal said:

Can you remember where you got them?

Thanks.
I can't remember if it was £40 each or £40 the pair, and at the moment, I can't find my folder of receipts. I'll have another look later and update. ;)

The Sachs ones were £37 each.

chris3boro said:
Like yours, mine's suspension has got very hard recently, sure it wasn;t always like that!

1st sign of old age!! moaning your suspension is getting harder!! :wink:

There you go!! As son as you hit 20 yu'l be trading the puma in for a nice comfy Volvo V70!! Ideal for towing the caravan!! :D

actionman said:
There you go!! As son as you hit 20 yu'l be trading the puma in for a nice comfy Volvo V70!! Ideal for towing the caravan!! :D

haha, how old are you then? (relying on you giving an age above mine!...) Actually, come July I think I will freak out about no longer being a teenager!

lol!! yeh i'm older!! i'm gonna be 35 this friday!! :D

Oh & i've already been through my "Volvo estate" stage!! had a V40 about 7yrs ago, needed a big estate as i had 3 bullmastiffs at the time!! I had a scooby estate after that tho when my license was cleaned!! :wink:

actionman said:
lol!! yeh i'm older!! i'm gonna be 35 this friday!! :D

Oh & i've already been through my "Volvo estate" stage!! had a V40 about 7yrs ago, needed a big estate as i had 3 bullmastiffs at the time!! I had a scooby estate after that tho when my license was cleaned!! :wink:

haha, fair enough ill let you off then!

Oh & the V40 was slightly pimped as well!! :grin: lowered on 17s & a rear roof lip spoiler fitted!! Looked not too bad for a Volvo!! :wink:

Back