Seats & Rear 3/4 side panel replacement (Picture heavy)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Last weekend I helped replace an interior from the normal cloth to leather for Carol (caloubear) I took some photos as I went along so others can know where the mounting points are etc and what sort of poppers are where.

I didn't do the front door cards as Carol had already done those.

First disconnect the battery so the seat belt pre-tensioners have a while (minimum 15 mins) to discharge any stored power.

Then I took off the rear seat upright by removing the 4 Torx screws (T40) from the boot side.

Then unclipped the seat cushion from the front:
10052009100.jpg

And slide it backwards towards the boot to release the copper clip from the bracket:
10052009098.jpg

Then you can remove the rear side panels. There are 3 poppers next to the door frame:
10052009093.jpg

One broken in frame at bottom:
10052009062.jpg

2 clips under the side window that fit in little slots:
10052009066.jpg

one long clip up near the seat belt, one screw below that one and 2 up near the parcel shelf pivot.

10052009094.jpg

Then remove the T50 Torx mounting the rear seatbelt to the car:

10052009064.jpg

10052009065.jpg

10052009083.jpg

And then you can remove the rear side card from the car.

10052009082.jpg

10052009094.jpg

Undo the seat belt pre-tensioner. This can be found after removing the plastic covers between the seats and the door frame:
10052009076.jpg

10052009077.jpg

Do this on both sides, then you can remove the 5 off 10mm bolts that hold the seats in - 2 at the front, and 3 at the back:
10052009087.jpg

Then you have plenty of space:
10052009089.jpg

Refitting is the reverse of removal - it can be handy to have some spare clips to hand as they sometimes break.

If you do buy replacement seats, take note of the pre-tensioners themselves on the seats. The leather ones had been in some sort of accident and had fired. Used ones on the left:
10052009103.jpg

If these are fitted to the car, you'll get the airbag warning light on your dash flash at you.

I didn't get any "finished" shots although Carol may be along to post some.

Good photos - if there had been a guide like that I might have been able to do it myself and not pester you, he he!

Seats are fab, multimegasquillion thanks :thumbs:

PS anyone fancy giving it a try and need a nice cloth interior to swap for, I know where there is a nice set from an 02 plate silver puma......

Dal, you know those black boxes with R and L on them... are they hollow and could they accommodate a small sub as they look like they have some form of circle indent on them already?

They should do as the FRPs have a little sub in there:

(Just see it in the corner of the photo)

DSC00265.jpg

r nice! ... do you have any ida on diameter of that circle and depth... sorry im being very lazy and not going out to check myself lol... i will do when my new rear speakers arrive... hmm ideas... i could have 1 in each side and an amp drilled to my rear seat to save space... i have the wiring already there after my last sub :)

Actually FRP's never had the sub, they were initially planned to, but it was later ruled out on the grounds of cost, but the interior panels had already been specified.

The subs were part of the Platinum ICE pack, which also included a 7000 stereo, and an amp under the boot lock, on the back panel.

Strange as I've seen plenty of FRP rear 3/4 panels with the subs in. I suppose some had the Platinum ICE pack fitted when sold. Never seen a std 1.7 with subs. You live and learn! :)

I have seen speakers fitted behind them in FRPs ;)

Very unusual then, perhaps a retrofit. What stereo was fitted?

IIRC the only option on the FRP was the LSD, and of course to have Platinum ICE you couldn't have a quickclear screen as the same fuse is used, and I thought all FRP had quickclear.

So to sum up the tools I would need for the job would be;

-T40 & T50 Torx screwdrivers
- 10mm Socket
- Spare clips (sorry what kind of clips would these be?)

Cheers ;-)

Im going to attempt this this weekend (if i get all the stuff in need by then)...

Just a few questions...

when you take off the front door cards do you have to take of the wing mirror cover on the inside too? and if so how?

also do you have any pics of the finished thing... im adding leather seats to mine too...

DAN-HN i think the clips are these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIES...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c63a21724

BUT im not totally sure so wait until someone else confirms before you buy them...

ethanfitz said:
when you take off the front door cards do you have to take of the wing mirror cover on the inside too? and if so how?

I don't think you'll need to, just the three screws, the inside wing mirror covers they come off piece of pie anyway, just pull them.

You will need to remove the covers. To get the old door card off you will need to remove the screws and opening handle surround, pop all the clips by pulling on the door card and then lift whole thing upwards to allow the window seal to clear the door. To remove the mirror cover pull it out from the front and slide it back towards the rear.

Thanks guys :) interior isn't coming till Monday now so will be doing it either bit by bit in the week or next weekend now.... Fingers crossed everything goes well...

Very useful and interesting to know about those sub boxes, they'll be filled soon then :twisted: I don't suppose anyone has a picture of the amp fitted under the boot lock to get an idea of position and dimensions?

Hey guys i done the whole leather interior on the weekend, pretty easy job espically with the above instruction, thanks :) ...

i didnt even break any clips woo... however it seems the person who had my puma before me took the drivers side door card off before, broke some clips in the doo and didnt replace them :( anyone know where i can get a replacement for the part of the clip that is in the front doors... not the bit with the pin that sits in the door card all those are fine. I need 2 or 3 of the socket parts of the clip that sit in the actual door for the pin bit to lock into...

anyone have anyideas where i can get one (or what the scoket bits are called). the loose pins are rattleing when i drive its some what annoying.... if i can find a pic of what i mean i will post it here...

Back