Mrs wants a new car - convertible, 10k budget <3yrs old

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilrob

Off the top of my head contenders are:

Mazda MX-5 (obviously)
Daihatsu Copen (as suggested by Cherie)
Renault Wind (the 1.6VVT - I couldn't live with the looks personally, but she would probably love it cos it's kooky and different)
Peugeot 207cc
Vauxhall Tigra

Anyone got any other suggestions? I would hope that after she's driven an MX-5, she won't need to consider anything lower down the list, but it's always good to have options.

Dismissed:
S2000 as it's too expensive to run and a little bit over budget for a 2009 one.
BMW Z4 as she doesn't like it's "big nose" (and we can't afford one)
VW EOS as it's "too big" (and we can't afford one)
Anything made by Mini just because
StreetKa - too old, irrational hatred of Ka's.
Nissan Micra C+C - only acceptable Nissan is a 350 or 370Z
Mitsubishi Colt CZC - no.

Hi evilgob, have you done a comparison of a new car versus a new Mrs? on http://www.mercormrs.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :grin:

MX-5. All the others will loose value much faster and will be unreliable in comparison.

And it looks far better, with RWD that you can hoon about in when she's not looking.

As long as you wear a hat well pulled down over your eyes, and shades :cool:

The MX5, good though it is, is indescribably girlie

The MX-5 is the only true sportscar in that list. It'd be my choice any day of the week (and incidentally, is on my shortlist).

That budget would get you a very nice 2.0 Sport (and possibly a facelift model too).

From your list, Mazda Mx-5 every time! As Dal has already stated, it will depreciate the slowest out of all of those on your list and should be the most reliable, thanks to it being Japanese!

Don't let the girlie image put you off. Most people who mock the mx-5 haven't driven one. They are a really good cheap little drivers car and a bit like a Puma - more about the handling than outright power and speed! One guy I know bought one on the pretext that it was his wife as he's got a sporty Alfa and a Ducati 1198 to have fun with and every time I see it, he's the one driving it!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

My observation is that they are generally driven by girls, or by men of a certain age with their bald spot glinting in the sun, unless covered by a somewhat out-of-place looking baseball cap. Think William Hague.

:lol:

I also see that Mazda have finally cottoned-on to the fact that, for a 'lightweight' sports car, it has actually grown more than a little lardy. The next model will be some 300-400Kg lighter.

Now that will be interesting!

Well seeing as it's for his Mrs, the fact that its a "girly car" doesn't really matter...

Although saying that on a Puma forum is a tad ironic.

As much as I despise saying it, the Mini Convertible (not the equally stupid, but newer Roadster) should also be in budget.

Bear in mind if you did go down this route, it would be impossible for you to drive it.

I think we're all missing the point here?

Given that the car is for Mrs EvilRob, what has she decided that she likes - after all it will be her car and her (mainly) driving it?

And the advantage to her choosing her own car is that she'll leave your Puma alone!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well, when we got the Puma, she wanted a Tigra - the Puma was a compromise because it was small and gay like the Tigra but actually a good car underneath.

Now they don't make Tigras any more (thankfully), and she turns her nose up at anything over 3 years old, she likes the look of the 207cc or the Wind because it's different. *facepalm*

She won't touch a Mini with a bargepole, so she at least has *some* taste. (sorry Neil!)

I will do my best to make sure she drives an MX-5 first so the others feel horrible afterwards. Was always the obvious choice in my mind - thanks to everyone for confirming. :eek:k:

i was looking for a sports car and found a mr2 convertable for 1200. the sale did fall threw unfortunately. it was cheap needed a few bits done but i knew the value was alot higher! would of been ncie for the summer. shame it got sold in edinburgh! mx5 is on my list though.. defo would like one myself.

I know its not in your description of what you want, But I had a Streetka and loved it!!
Just wish it had more seats :(
Nippy and went into corners so well!
Plus you can buy a hardtop for them as weel so winter and summer car :pose:

Back