Brake pads, for your info:

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

These are no longer available from Mintex. They have discontinued the whole
range.

Your Credit card has not been debited.

-----Original Message-----
From: Premier-Braking Web Site [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 30 September 2008 14:14
To: Sales
Subject: B39721.57768 Web Order (Premier-Braking)

The following order has been placed at the Premier-Braking web site

Order ref.: B39721.57768

MDB2314X Qty: 1 @ £35.00
FORD PUMA 1.7 COUPE 00-01 All unspecified

Goods total : £35.00

Carriage : £9.99

Order total : £44.99

This completes the entered order

Any suggestions?

I can't believe Mintex would just stop such a popular pad as Xtreme. My guess would be that there might be a 'new' version of it about soon if it really has ceased production.

Did somebody move this? I think the £70 one pumaspeed sell is the only one you can buy.

What are normal mintex ones like?

Dal had greenstuff, and you didnt think too much of them did you?

EBC pads should be fine.
The discs apparently arent much of an improvement on the originals.

Two options as i see it:

EBC Greenstuff, and standard ford discs at extra cost:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINTEX-BRAKE-DISC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 286.c0.m14

Mintex brake box with discs and pads for under £50 for both:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINTEX-BRAKE-DISC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 286.c0.m14

Opinions?

The links are the same :p

For cost the mintex.. could try the ebc though.. i may be in the not to distant future

The ones shown in your link are what I would classify as "standard spec" really, they could perform as good as or even a bit better than OE ones and I guess it's an attractive price, but I wouldn't expect anything amazing from them.

If budget allows this, I would recommend matching the Greenstuff up with a set of Tarox G88's, from personal experience. The grooves will work well in conjunction with the pads, helping cool&deglaze them when required during "sporty" driving. You will see better braking performance than when using standard non-grooved discs.

Im leaning towards the mintex box set, as for £50 that is a good price. But then, with the ring next year, id like some greenstuffs to slow me down.

Argh im so abd at descisions!

Im thinking ill pick up the greenstuff pads this month:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... 0248188441

So thats under £50 for the pads delivered.

Then next month ill buy some standard discs from ebay/ford.

Though my adian flux policy apparently allows me to modify anything apart from hp increases without any extra cost, so would it be worth going for grooved/drilled discs? Does anyone know if AF charge you for modifiying your policy? I know some insurers charge a £25 admin fee every time you phone them up.

DradusContact said:
Though my adian flux policy apparently allows me to modify anything apart from hp increases without any extra cost, so would it be worth going for grooved/drilled discs? Does anyone know if AF charge you for modifiying your policy? I know some insurers charge a £25 admin fee every time you phone them up.

Give Dan a PM, as that's what he's here for : to answer our questions about AF.

->PM Dan by clicking me<-

Ok PM sent, if for arguments sake they dont want any more money, do you think its worth going for grooved/drilled discs?

Hopefully my oem pads and discs will last me a few more months, at least to get it through its mot anyway.

Grooved, yes.

Drilled, no.

Try to time it so that you fit the pads onto the new discs that you are going to keep on long-term, so that they "bed in" together. The Greenstuff pads have a thin coating that wears itself onto the discs during the bedding-in period.

Do grooved dics wear your pads any faster though?

I will fit them together, i just hope my current brakes are ok enough to get it through its mot this month.

Slightly faster, but one of the purposes of the grooves is to deglaze the pads during hard braking, however the benefits far outweigh this small increase in wear-rate. Your brakes will run cooler too, so less chance of brakefade under prolonged hard braking.

I've personally never got less than 10,000 miles from a set of pads running on grooved discs, and I ain't a wuss when it comes to braking hard..!

The grooves will help not to concentrate the heat build up in the disks to one part and warp the disk as it can only heat up a 12th / 8th / 6th of the disk at a time depending how many grooves there are Draddy.

Might fit some next time I need some.

Theyre not that expensive, though some guy on ebay wanted £100+ for a set! They were drilled as well as grooved though.

Got a potentional money earner in the works tommorow so if it pans out i will defo go for the EBC and grooved discs.

Ok so a bit of an update. EBC greenstuff are easy enough to get hold of. Plenty of companies out there sell them, and ebay is full of them. However ive heard too many bad reviews and i think im going to steer clear. Im leaning towards mintex pads again, but m1144 (extreme's replacement) seem so hard to get hold of. The only place i can find them is pumaspeed, and im convinced i can get them cheaper than £70.

Back