Broken HCV pipe - leaking coolant - help

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67911121km

So, I went to top up my oil last night, noticed brown splashes all over the engine/bay. After taking a proper look this morning, I've found that the plastic connection for the right-hand hose coming out of the HCV has snapped off.

I expect this happened the other day when I was forced to hit a sunken drain cover at speed and the car took a heavy jolt.

Anyway, been driving some miles since then, no problems (so far). Ordered a new HCV just now but will I be okay to drive the car for the next couple of days (15 mile round trip school run twice a day)?

I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that it's coolant running through these pipes. Level in reservoir is still above MIN line and engine has not run over normal temperature at all in recent heat, etc.

Photo0007_zpsb55ef230.jpg

Thanks for your help

Hopefully you've ordered an original Ford HCV and not a copy.
Short term, I would disconnect both hoses in your picture and join them together with a short piece of tube. This will bypass the heater, then top up the coolant.
If you lose enough coolant so that there is none surrounding the thermostat, it will not register overheating on the gauge.

What YOG said, when mine broke I lost huge amounts of coolant even after refilling with water it lost it all in a few minutes in less than a mile.

quest63 said:
What YOG said, when mine broke I lost huge amounts of coolant even after refilling with water it lost it all in a few minutes in less than a mile.

I've only lost about 300ml (that's what it took in water to take me back to the MAX line) so thinking I've been lucky as it's likely I've been driving around for at least five days with this hose hanging off.

The other hose has been disconnected and I've joined the two ends together with a 2" piece of copper pipe, bypassing the heating system. HCV is on order so just got to wait for it to come through the post now.

Thanks for the tips/advice.

Take care when getting the broken plastic pipe out of the rubber pipe as it likely will break into bits which are best kept out of your cooling system :thumbs:

quest63 said:
Take care when getting the broken plastic pipe out of the rubber pipe as it likely will break into bits which are best kept out of your cooling system :thumbs:

Yes, carefully prised the plastic away from inside the hose. Got a pair of pliers in there, followed by a small metal hook to scrap out what was left. A couple of small pieces fell down the hose and I was unable to retrieve. Driven 100+ miles since then and no problems (touch wood).

If some small bits fell down the pipe, you could've took the other end off and sloshed some water down it to clear them out.

I had to pick part of the HCV out of the pipe on mine, but held the pipe downwards so all the little bits fell straight out.

Latest posts

Back