Custom Polyurethane bushes.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenpenalver

Just experimenting with a new PU based resin at work basically very similar to the PU's used in polybushes from powerflex, flowflex etc and available in a number of shore A hardness grades.

Would there be any demand for PU bush inserts for the standard engine, gearbox and torque link mounts?

Or are people happy to pay for the vibratechnics mounts??

To me they seem quite expensive for what they are, when a remanufactured standard part with PU insert or a PU insert on its own to be pressed into the standard part would be much cheaper.

What are peoples thoughts??

Putting PU into the standard 'donut' style rubber mounts is an age old, cost effective way of getting polybushes, but because of it's homemade feel a lot of people are scared.

My brother told me of a chap on the Civic Type-R forum who did this to his engine/box mounts many years ago, and he was almost ostracised for being so mad! But he had the last laugh.

So yeah, i'd go for it.

I brought a VT Gearbox mount but would certianly be interested in a homemade Engine and Torque one!

TGPlayer1 said:
Putting PU into the standard 'donut' style rubber mounts is an age old, cost effective way of getting polybushes, but because of it's homemade feel a lot of people are scared.

Powerflex have been doing "infill" inserts to fill the voids on OEM bushes for years so its certainly not a bodge. See here:

50-509_nb_web.jpg

They just only do them for a few popular mass produced cars for fast road use. They still do the solid ones for track etc.

To be fair I'd probably be cutting out the rubber and jigging the centre piece then filling with resin in a mould/jig i will make. That way you dont have to worry about finding a good condition OEM mount as it doesnt matter if the rubber is perished.

Hi Warren
I might need a engine/gearbox stabiliser mount to stop my exhaust system breaking now I don't have a flexi joint. I don't like to have to do this as it will introduce vibration to the car but it might stop my exhaust snapping cos of vibration.
Barry

Cool. Shall do some more digging!

People say the vibratechnics mounts aren't that expensive but if you add it up youre looking at over £400 for the 3 mounts plus more for actual bushs on the car.

I'd dread to think what new mounts from ford would cost if you can get them!!

Any news on this? I would be interested. I take it the would be simple to fit once the mounts are removed from the car?

Back