Decat flatspot problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelios

I've just fitted a sportex 4-2-1 decat manifold to my s reg 1.7 puma, it has developed a serious flatspot through all the revs, I can have my foot hard down and it won't pull then will fire into life until I take my foot off the throttle then it won't pull again, It ran perfect before fitting the decat but can't put cat back on as it has a hole in it, could the lambda sensor be at fault?

Definately sounds like a Lambda sensor issue. I've been told that NGK made them to have a lifetime off +/- 130.000km or 80.000miles. It will certainly improve the fuel consumption as they often run a bit rich, to replace them about then.

taking the cat out will naturally reduce mid range torque, but if its really noticable like night and day could well be lambda

might be a bit late but,
i bought a manifold, sports cat and backbox second hand, it already had a lambda in the manifold.
when it was all fitted it had some huge flatspots and was overfuelling like mad.
bought a universal sensor (one with no plug) for £35 and its fine now.
the old sensor in the manifold was just worn out i think.
still a few little flatspots in the mid range but im hoping a remap would sort this.

Got to agree with the advice mentioned above - if it is seriously flat, it will probably be a lambda sensor problem. As yours is an earlier Puma, you've only got the one to worry about! You could try removing it and cleaning it with a rag and some carb or brake cleaner and then refitting it to see if it's any better. Failing that, your probably going to need a new one (i've also heard about the lambda sensors having a life span). If that fails to cure the problem, it might be worth taking it to a reputable car tuner who can check fuelling, timing etc and maybe sort you out a custom map for your mods!

You may lose some mid range torgue by taking the cat out, but on something like a Puma, the majority of drivers would be hard pressed to tell the difference! Most would just notice the difference in exhaust note!

On a separate note, I had a Citroen Saxo VTR when they first came out (before all the chavs and boy racers started buying them). I fitted a de-cat to it. No massive improvement in performance, just noticed a slight improvement in MPG and it would hold onto a higher gear slightly longer on the banks - not bad for a £30 - £40 mod!

Hope you get it sorted cheaply and quickly!

Back