difference between petrol and diesel fuel tanks

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.
The tank of my recently inherited Millenium is leaking quite badly, having clearly been patched in the past, and I've been advised to get a new one.
Having read a bunch of threads on here about tweaking Fiesta tanks to fit, I figured that is what I should do, so I searched around.
I found a new one on ebay for only £110, but it is listed as diesel and the vendor tells me I should buy the petrol one for £30 more.
Diesel: NEW Fuel Tank - Diesel - fits Ford Fiesta IV (JA_, JB_) 1.8D 1995-2002 - 1059852 | eBay
Petrol: NEW Fuel Tank - fits Ford Fiesta IV (JA_, JB_) 1.0-1.6 1995-2002 - 1084659 | eBay

But I'm at a loss to imagine how or why they would be any different. Is this just a scam to exploit demand, or can anyone tell me what a difference might actually be?

This is from when i fit my new tank in my millennium, it was an almost direct fit with no need for internal modifications. The only modifications were a lenght of fluoro silicone hose for the breather as the fiesta tank take off it at a different angle and having to drill 2 holes and rivet the fuel filter bracket in place.
https://www.projectpuma.com/threads/my-millennium.33922/post-386973
My tank came from euro car parts and was more expensive, but gave me piece of mind that if It didn't fit I could drive 10 minutes and take it back.

Back