Downgrading to 1.6 question???

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnr

Hello,

I have a Ford puma endurance race car with the 1.7 engine. Now this year I started racing in a new class which unfortunately does not allow VVT, VCT or any other kind of VANOS control.

So now I need to change the engine. From my understanding the easiest route to go is to drop in the 1.6 Zetec S/SE engine. I was googling for weeks now but can't find any info, on downgrading to 1.6 from the 1.7 (probably because no one in their right mind would do it for a road car...)

So I have a few questions, hopefully some of you guys can help me:

- The only 1.6 engine I can find locally is from a Ford focus mk1. Is this the same engine fitted to 1.6 pumas / fiestas? (From engine pictures in the focus, the engine mounts look different).
- Will the 1.7 flywheel fit on the 1.6? (I have a lightened fly with racing clutch so would be mega if it fits).
- Puma IB5 box should fit no problem I guess?

Are there any wiring problem I should be aware of?

Thanks for your replies in advance :)

The 1.6 Mk1 Focus engine is the same as the Fiesta/Puma one so if you use Puma/Fiesta engine mounts it will fit fine on your existing gearbox and flywheel

Could you not simply remove the VCT?
Maybe even fit the 1.6 head.
This would give you a couple more cc and save a whole load of headaches...

I am in the process of reshelling my race Fiesta 1.6 into a Puma so can offer some advice. The 1.6 Focus lump is fundamentally the same as the Fiesta/Puma lump but there are slight variations in the engine generations and also ancilliaries especially the loom and ECU pinouts. The best engine to source would be a 1.6 plastic black top Zetec SE (mine is from a 2001 Fiesta Zetec S) which mechanically is pretty much a straight swap with the 1.7 Puma item. The flywheel can be transferred too assuming your using an IB5 gearbox.

If your still on the Ford ECU then for ease of compatibility it would be best to get the matching ECU from the donor engine car too, after that its just minor wiring tweeks for lights and instruments.

Hi drmotorsport

Do you know whether the 1.6 head will bolt straight onto the 1.7 block?
Obviously pulleys and mount will need swapping, anything else?

Cheers, Stu..

Thanks for all your replies guys.

According to the regs, engine with VANOS are not allowed period no matter if it is removed or not. However if I remove the VCT will it run with standard ECU?

Changing the head is another posibility witch I would prefer to do, because the botom end has been rebuilt. But do you know will the 1.6 head fit on 1.7 block?

If I go with the engine change what do I need in terms of wiring? I will get ECU and key with the donor engine. Will the ECU plug straight in the puma loom? Will the engine loom also plug in the puma loom?

The zetec engineblocks 1.7 and 1.6 are the same. Only the 1.7 is aluminum and less weight. It 's possible to bolt the 1.6 cranckshaft into the 1.7 and than you have a 1.6 engine. The cilinderhead is the same, only the camshafts not. You can replace them as well. I know someone who build such an engine to race in the -1600cc and it workt well. It runs on a stand alone ecu.

trublustu said:
[post]351561[/post] Hi drmotorsport

Do you know whether the 1.6 head will bolt straight onto the 1.7 block?
Obviously pulleys and mount will need swapping, anything else?

Cheers, Stu..

Cant say i've tried it, but i have been told before that the oilways dont line up correctly amongst other things.

jnr said:
[post]351563[/post] Thanks for all your replies guys.

If I go with the engine change what do I need in terms of wiring? I will get ECU and key with the donor engine. Will the ECU plug straight in the puma loom? Will the engine loom also plug in the puma loom?

Yes it will just plug in. You may need to swap some pins on the loom depending if your bothered by things like reversing lights etc.

WB Motorsport said:
[post]351565[/post] The zetec engineblocks 1.7 and 1.6 are the same. Only the 1.7 is aluminum and less weight.

All of the Sigma engines (Zetec S) use the same architecture of all aluminum construction. The engine block is aluminum in both cases. 1.6 uses cast iron liners, 1.7 same, but with the addition of nikasil treatment.

drmotorsport said:
[post]351574[/post]
jnr said:
[post]351563[/post] Thanks for all your replies guys.

Yes it will just plug in. You may need to swap some pins on the loom depending if your bothered by things like reversing lights etc.

I am not sure about this as the 1.6 (as per TIS) has 60 pin connector, and 1.7 has 104 pins IIRC.

Latest posts

Back