Exhaust back box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstroi

Hi all. I've just discovered the back box silencer has been perforated.How easy is it to replace bearing in mind it'll be done at the roadside/driveway. I've been toying with the idea of a new performance exhaust for a while but baulking at the price of a complete system( i'm an Aberdonian and tight with money)so what about a performance back box. Can anyone recommend a back box with a decent sound not one of the boy racer fraternity noisy screamers but a nice purposeful throaty sound. Cheers Dave the tight Aberdonian

How easy it is to change depends if you've still got the original exhaust on the car or it's been replaced at some point.

If it's already been replaced then it we'll easy. Undo the clamp on the joint, remove the rubber hangers and wiggle the box off. Refitting is the reverse of removal.

If you've still got the original exhaust which is one piece from the rear to the cat/flexi joint then you'll need to cut the old one off. Even that's easy with a little careful measuring and a hacksaw!

Easily DIY job.

Personal recommendations are don't buy a Sportex box. They drone like hell and will eventually turn you insane if it hadn't already turned you deaf. They rust easily too.
I'm currently using an Ashley rear box. Sounds good and still looking in really good condition despite being fitted ages ago.

Thanks for all the help, i think the exhaust been replaced at some point, all the exhaust parts look remarkably free from the usual crud and rust. I'll have a look around for an Ashley back box thanks again

Latest posts

Back