Exhaust (paper in fan)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_puma

Recently I've been hearing this noise (like when you put a piece of paper in a fan)...when the revs are low and I accelerate slowly I get this noise, which is more noticeable going up a steepish hill in 2nd gear or on a flat.

scenario: In 3rd gear in traffic, clutch is up, foot is off acc pedal, when I go back on acc at lower revs, i hear the noise, my mate told me it was my exhaust rattling? but I'm unsure.

I can hear it clearly from the front right side of the car with the window down, but not so much on the left if this helps.

clutch? Gearbox? Exhaust? HELP?

Maybe not exhaust rattling , maybe a small exhaust blow. Or maybe your auxilliary belt or cambelt damaged and slapping on something, maybe a nail in your tyre.

An exhaust blow would blow whatever the speed/revs?

Possibly the aux belt, ill check that later!

Cambelt got changed not so long ago, so I doubt it's that?

I have got a nail in my tire (lol), but it's defiantly not that!

My rocker is leaking oil again, pretty badly this time, could it have something to do with this?

MOT Advisory's - Oil Leak, Rusty brake lines all round, rusty suspension top mount, corrosion to exhaust (Though the Mid section is only about a year old and so to is the back back).

Gah, I hate this car, drives like shit (suspension, steering, clutch, gearbox, seating position...sloppy piece of poo)

A hole is a hole so would always be there but theres a lot of competition noise wise for you attention under the bonnet so it could be the case its just not noticeable till certain revs. Since your mid section and backbox were changed a short time ago but you have a corrosion advisory maybe an issue with manifold or downpipe / cat

Just because the cambelts been done doest mean it was done properly or that somethings not happened to it since to damage it, or its falling apart and a bits slapping against something.

Are you sure its not your heater fan with something in it?

Good luck with it :thumbs:

I'll have to look into the fan too...but again it only happens when the revs are low and i go back onto the accelerator...so its defo either the exhaust, clutch or G box...i'll have to get it to the garage. :'(

A hole in the exhaust could be described many ways.... I've found it sounds different at different engine speeds/loads.

Sometimes it sort of sounds 'Spitty' like it's blowing water out....
Sometimes it sort of sounds like paper is over a hole and the exhaust is blowing it making it vibrate....

Damn I hope that makes sense...... to someone at least!

I had the exact same noise and mine was a loose cambelt due to a faulty tensioner... sounded just like paper in a fan, and heard it at low revs, more so on the right side with my window open, just like you. My new cambelt had only done about 30k before this happened. If the parts are faulty I guess when you got it done doesn't really matter. Is it still in warranty? Get it checked ASAP and try and refrain from driving - if you do be very careful

my log of it >> http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=160749#p160749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to worry you... just don't want the cambelt slipping on you and damaging your engine. It might not even be that... just get it checked, just incase :eek:k:

Sparx said:
I had the exact same noise and mine was a loose cambelt due to a faulty tensioner... sounded just like paper in a fan, and heard it at low revs, more so on the right side with my window open, just like you. My new cambelt had only done about 30k before this happened. If the parts are faulty I guess when you got it done doesn't really matter. Is it still in warranty? Get it checked ASAP and try and refrain from driving - if you do be very careful

my log of it >> http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=160749#p160749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to worry you... just don't want the cambelt slipping on you and damaging your engine. It might not even be that... just get it checked, just incase :eek:k:

I had it done with a mobile mechanic (because it was cheaper), when he finished changing the cambelt he asked if I wanted my aux belt replacing so i agreed, I checked the car like a week later and I still had the same old aux belt, so I'm thinking, did he change the cambelt at all.

I've been driving with this noise now for like a month, so i guess not driving it is a little too late lol. I'm gonna take it to the garage now. *Mopes off to the bank*

Hmmm... if he hasn't changed either belt i'd take it up with the mechanic, he should have at least warranted his work if not the parts he claims he's used/changed.
I'm sure your engine wont have incurred any further damage if that is the problem.. if it went pop you'd soon know about it :lol: just drive her carefully it while she's still running, no bouncing off the limiter or anything :lol:

Good luck mate :eek:k:

I just washed down the engine bay of oil at the jet wash before taking it to the garage, when I left the jetwash the noise didn't happen!!!

So i've just gone to the parts store and brought some gearbox oil, engine oil and ordered ANOTHER rocker gasket, i'm hoping it was something simple remedied bye the jet...but i'll take her back out later and check for the noise again. :roll:

k the noise is still there lol :'(

again at lower revs..turning on a left bend (not a corner) it happens continuously until I straighten up.

I really don't wanna take it to the garage cause I don't want to spend the money, but if I have to...I have too

Also should the cambelt have these rub marks on the top side? is that from one of the wheels? Link below.

http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/RupertBearIV/?action=view&current=GetImageasp.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1262.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii605%2FRupertBearIV%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D20120927_110826.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and sparks the cambelt was/is tight...by touch, if i can diagnose a loose cambelt this way.

It might not be the actual cambelt that's making the noise, it may have been the faulty tensioner making the noise on mine.
It looks like its on there ok, mine was over to the edge of the pulley, and if it feels tight on there then its probably not affected the belt itself. Does it look like a fairly new belt? Is it worn/frayed?
I'm not too mechanically minded I just know from my past experience, so i'm not sure if the belt would have the marks on the top however i don't remember noticing them on mine...
My mechanic has this stethoscope type listening device he used on mine to find out where the noise was coming from, which was how he diagnosed the problem.
Maybe you should take it down to a trusted garage and get them to diagnose the problem, get their advice on whether it's ok to keep driving and then if so, take it back when you don't mind parting with the cash.

Back