frp ferrodo brake pads; my chest hurts!!!!!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

im am short on words!!!!!!

iv not long refurbed my frp calipers & fitted ferrodo pads from hispec

(i rang roy for new discs & pads & told him i thought the 'standard' mintex pads were a bit of a let down & he suggested these...)

well, after 2 weeks of bedding in runs & general driving i went the long way to work this morning.................!

i feel i must apologise to my local council for all the new black marks down there lovely country lanes!!!!!!!!!

there included in hispecs racing kits so i was expecting good things but my body hurts!!!!! i have 8inch wide tyres and no abs & hitting the brakes hard was like a physical assault to the arms & chest!!!!

there a little harder than mintex around town & a bit more 'on or off' until warm when the pedal feel softens but if you go into a corner too fast & need brakes FAST these would haul a freight train down!!!!!!! whereas i found the mintex to be a let down at the top end (were talking about the region when the abs has about kicked in so most people might not have felt it when mintexs reach there max temp & give up)

i went the even longer way home; end result? i need harnesses to hold me in my seat!!!!!!!!! my arms couldnt cope & my chest hurts where the seat belt has held me in!!!!!

had some in my old fiesta; rubbish to live with but awesome for holding u in / down etc

the frp suffers from a rear brake bias as the discs are from a heavier focus (usually the abs compensates) but these pads have almost solved that by making the fronts evil!!!!

if you dont use the frp's brakes much i dont think you'd like them but if you do then you will love them.

tad expensive at £130 a set from the same people who will do the standard frp mintexs for £70 but i love them, will have to see how long they last.

I take it that means they get the Jacko seal of approval? :eek:k:

jacko said:
tad expensive at £130 a set from the same people who will do the standard frp mintexs for £70 but i love them, will have to see how long they last.

They'll not last long IMO, that braking power has to come from somewhere..such as the surface of the brake pad...

Fade them if you can :p

hehehehehe! i def like them.

problem is ford / alcon being complete c*cks & making the calipers a funny size; hispec had to buy an 18mm thick pad & machine it down to 15mm just so it will fit!!!!!!!!!!! so iv already lost 1/6 of my brakes life!

machining the pistons to a sensible size is next on the hit list & then i can have any standard pads i fancy..... (also toying with the idea of using titanium & making some pistons myself!!!!!!! itd be cheaper than buying stainless stell ones!!!!!!)

also on the list is getting the caliper halves and pistons machined to accept a dust seal.....(which would make life sooooo much easier)

Your next job is helping me get rear discs on mine :D

Im going to get some new boggo discs and mintex extreme pads before my MOT at the end of october.

Back