Gearbox oil

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah there a drain plug should be at thr bottom of the box and the refill plug i think is at the front behind the passenger side head light some where around there i think hope this helps

No drain plug, box is designed to be sealed for life, you can drain some of it by undoing the first selector detente. But to drain properly you will need to remove a drive shaft. See my diff how to

Then where might the refill hole/plug be? is it behind the passenger headlight as looney says?

I dunno whether it needs oil or just a new gearbox, as when i put it into gear it kinda gets stuck, so i have to put it back into neutral and slightly force it in, just like it is catching on something.

When I brought it, the gearstick was tight in all gears, now lets say for example when it is in 4th, there's a lot of left/right play in the stick

new_puma said:
Then where might the refill hole/plug be? is it behind the passenger headlight as looney says?

I dunno whether it needs oil or just a new gearbox, as when i put it into gear it kinda gets stuck, so i have to put it back into neutral and slightly force it in, just like it is catching on something.

When I brought it, the gearstick was tight in all gears, now lets say for example when it is in 4th, there's a lot of left/right play in the stick

refill is the 8mm allen key bolt at the front top of the gearbox

Yep no drain plug, steve has told me off enough times over this :wink: but I managed to drain a fair amount out from the first selector detente, then jacked the back of the car up to get as much out as poss.

ScubaSteve said:
can get to it from either top or bottom

Steve, I appreciate your help and your knowledge, but I'm not a mechanic or that mechanical minded. so when you say "from the top or bottom", that means nothing to me lol.

Can I get to it from the engine bay? and where about is it. Sorry if this came across as rude, but my cars in pieces and I need help.

...And now it's raining again :'(

Engine bay or underneath the car.

Engine bay needs the battery and box out of the way, underneath is more difficult but less disassembly.

gearboxfillerplug.jpg

Thank you quest...Another question whilst I'm here...Next to the gearbox (left), That's the sump right? I have oil dripping down that, it's saturated, would that be from the rocker? I've changed it three times now but it still leaks. The first time i did it myself, second time i had mobile mechanic do it when he did my cambelt, and had the garage do it the third.

The first time i did it and the leak stopped for a while but came back, but it's still there after 3 replacements. could it be anything else?

Yes thats the sump to the left.

It might still be the rocker gasket thats the problem if it wasnt a ford gasket or if the job wasnt done carefully enough or not torqued correctly 10nm iirc.

It might also be from the oil filter or from the crancase breather valve / pipe / box or posibly from the sump gasket itself.

A member recently had to get rid of his newly aquired car because he was told by two seperate mechanics it was coming from the head gasket,although there was some doubt from members here about that diagnoses.

Defiantly sounds like the rocket cover gasket that's leaking. There an absolute pain in the ar*e to seal! When I first got my Puma, I got a friend of mine who is a mechanic to do the timing belt. He and his colleague had a right nightmare with it and when I got it back, it was leaking oil like an old sieve! The rocker cover gasket was leaking and they'd forgot to put one of the timing pin plugs back in so oil sprayed out the back of the engine, onto offside drive shaft and all over the rear bulkhead! What a mess!

I made the mistake of buying a non-genuine rocket cover gasket. I used the "how to change the rocker cover gasket guide" on this forum as I'd never changed a one on a Puma before! It leaked, so I stripped it down a further twice, cleaning and resealing it and each timed it leaked. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a genuine Ford rocker cover gasket off the net for around £30 inc p&p. I stripped the rocker cover down again, cleaned it very carefully (using carb cleaner, a screwdriver and kitchen roll) to get rid of the old sealant and oil. I then rebuilt it with the genuine Ford gasket (and no sealant as Ford recommends) and torgued the four rocket cover bolts to 10nm.

That is the only way in which I finally got the rocker cover to seal and be leak free!

:( :( :( :( :( :(

I have a big problem with my "rocket cover" as well :p

I used a genuine ford gasket and never really had a problem, I think a lot of the problem is cheaper gaskets

Shit, I just brought one off of ebay lol.

The one the garage fitted for me was a ford gasket (Brought myself), but still leaked...I think im just gonna cement the bitch in/on :lol:

I done my rocker cover about 11 months ago and used a ford oe gasket and thin bead of black instant gasket and never had aproblem since
The old rocker gasket had perished over time and I was brittle hence the leak from old gasket cracking and had a gap in it :happee: :eek:k:

Back