good old cambelt

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomper87

Ave been quoted £259 inc VAT

to replace the cam belt that includes parts and labor from the Admiral garage network

what do people think of this price? I am waiting on two other garages to get back to me aswell but just wondered what people thought?

its on my 1.7 W reg Puma :)

No that bad TBH, the usual is 3 hours labour at £50 a hour + parts. You may also want to consider doing the waterpump at the same time and the cam cover gasket as it will almost certainly leak when put back on.

I got the belt, tensioner, aux belt, waterpump and gasket changed in one hit. The parts cost around £140 for decent stuff

I just paid £78 for a genuine cambelt kit, inc tensioner & streach bolts from a ford dealer.The dealer gave me a 35% discount on the kit,so the price you have been given is not to bad.

Make sure you get the tensioner and stretch bolts changed with the cambelt. The tensioner is more likely to fail than the cambelt.

Whoop Whoop just had cam belt checked to night and been told it's fine and won't need changing for awhile had it at my dads mates garage and he has old me it is ok as no cracking on it and the teeth are still perfectly ok :) just need to get rear bushes done and then get the wedding out they way and then have some fun changing the interior :)

Be carefull These cambelts should be change every 5 years or 80k, reguardless of condition.The tensioner also has to be changed & you cant tell its condition just buy looking at it,Its better to be safe than sorry. :cool:

yea he tuck it of last night and had a look at it the guy has owned Pumas since they cam out and he buys them fixes them up and sells them on.

am going to get it done just before the MOT in sept.

So you have had your cambelt changed cheaply - i hope it wont hurt you too much finding the (around) 3k to put a used engine into your Puma.

Twice in this thread you have been advised about the cambelt tensioner - the most common Puma engine exploder - take advice and note that there are many others who have thought that they have got a good deal, only to find to their expense, that it really was not so cheap after all

my service log book includes a receipt for a cambelt kit at £90, fitted at same time as it's '09 service. Is this around about the going rate for a proper kit, with tensioner etc, before labour?

pumapilot said:
So you have had your cambelt changed cheaply - i hope it wont hurt you too much finding the (around) 3k to put a used engine into your Puma.

Twice in this thread you have been advised about the cambelt tensioner - the most common Puma engine exploder - take advice and note that there are many others who have thought that they have got a good deal, only to find to their expense, that it really was not so cheap after all

not changed just checked from someone who has been buying fully fixing up and selling pumas for a little over 5/6 years

£72, delivered (if you're quick!):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110622243806&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a emailed the guy on ebay asking exactly what is in the kit and this is what he has said

Kit contains

1x Tensioner
1x Timing Belt
2x Bolts
1x Water pump

Thomper87 said:
yea he tuck it of last night and had a look at it

Eh?

He went to all the trouble of taking the cambelt off, then put the old one back on?

Are you sure you aren't getting muddled with the fan belt?

Otherwise that is lunacy.

Back