Head Gasket change quote

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibbie

Looks like I may need a head gasket change on my newly purchased thunder (which I am starting to regret now!), the garage are checking it out as I type but they said if it does need one it will be about £700 to fit a new one... Think my eyes are still watering! Wondering what people have paid in the past to have a new head gasket fitted?

What are the symptons?

Hope its not a HG. Never nice to buy a car with problems.

I was thinking that Ian, I'm over in Chester, work in Liverpool once a week as well so might come across to see what you have got!

It's been firing up on 3 cylinders... changed the sparks seemed to solve it, then did it again over the weekend so got new leads. After putting the new leads on and fired it up got a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust... the smoke did clear eventually and seems to be running as it should now BUT did notice some gunk on the fuel filler cap before I did an oil change about a week ago (not had any since) so I'm not expecting good news!

I don't know much about the 1.7 engines but the gunk can form when a car doesn't get driven a lot.

Lost any coolant?

No coolant seems to be ok... although I've prob only done about 400 miles so far.

Just had the call from the garage... Head gasket needs doing. Gutted. I think I can feel the smugness radiating from my old puma sitting in my garage waiting to be sold, seriously tempted to get my tax and insurance swapped back to that one now!

Bad news! Any issues with the old one? I would do that, can always swap the Thunder bits over to the old one

i would get a second opinion on this,hg will cause loss of coolant and sometimes mixing off oil and coolant in the sump,missfire could be the coil pack,especially if youve had oil in plug wells.

Kizza said:
you can pick an engine up for less than £200. you not thought of changing the enigne yourself?

I wld definatly agree with Keiron, engine change would be the way forward for me, I found my last engine for £50 was a gamble as I ddn here it running but vhas worked out ok, wld recomend searching around properly nd viewing it working if u can tho,:)

The garage I use tend to be pretty good, have always been quick to point out when something doesn't actually need doing, but don't think they are the cheapest labour wise but they do a good job. I've got a few people I know who can have a look at it for me to offer me a second opinion. I am tempted by the engine swap but not something I would attempt myself. Car has only done 88k so annoyed that's what you get for buying off a trader I suppose :-(

daveski said:
Bad news! Any issues with the old one? I would do that, can always swap the Thunder bits over to the old one

Not really too much wrong with the old one, starts perfectly every time and pretty much always get 40+ mpg out of her, slight oil leak but think that has been the case since I've had her so always keep an eye on it. The thunder is the nicer car though so don't really want to be taking bits off that, so might park her up and run round in the old one until I can afford to get her fixed up.

You mean the body of the thunder is better?
Why not mix the best parts of both?
Free engine for the thunder!

But what you are saying it sounds to get a second opinion and go back to your old one!
A Puma working 100% (with its age now) is for me the best thing!

it isnt really worth doing 700 quids worth of work to it though...if head gasket gone, and i have not seen many with that problem it must have been ocverheated at some stage in the not too distant past...the guy selling it likely new all about this...naughty sale very naughty...

I would swap the engine for sure...bit fiddly but easy and relatively cheap...

my son did the puddle thing about three weeks ago...I have a spare head and that will be done this week..

Latest posts

Back