Help needed to locate a device driver

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blue

My laptop died on me recently but luckily I managed to recover the system without losing all my data, which is stored on a separate partition.

Now the DVD-RW driver has given up on me and I have been trying to find one online. I am getting nowhere fast but that could be because I am totally pissed off with the bloody thing!!

I need the following driver for an Acer Aspire 5735 running Vista Home Basic 32-bit

Pioneer DVD-RW DVRKD08RS ATA

If anyone can find me a link before I chuck the thing out of the window I will be eternally grateful. Thanks x

Yes - it tells me it is up to date. The problem is code 39. I've tried uninstalling the device/driver but when I reboot it can't install successfully. I need to get shot of the driver from the system but it tells me to follow the instructions on a 'page' in Device Manager that I can't find!

Had a scour of the driver sites I use and can't bloody find one which is unusual for them, plenty for the laptop but not the DVD drive - sorry that doesn't help you.

Seen a few posts about changing a value in the registry which has happened to a few people - again, something you don't want to do unless your used to delving into the settings.

I will keep looking and check back incase someone beats me to it...lol ;)

Dare I ask if you have the correct DVD model number as it's not listed in the Pioneer drivers on the site below although I have seen it listed (with no drivers) elsewhere :?

http://www.driver-downloads.com/pioneer/pioneer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the answer is no and yes to the above try the following;-

1. Click on Start, Run, and type regedit and press Enter
2. Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders;-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

Class

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The last folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry.

3. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column;-
Upper Filters
Lower Filters
Upper Filters.bak
Lower Filters.bak

4. If any of the above keys are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

5. After deleting the keys, close the registry editor
6. Reboot your computer
7. Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

Disclaimer by Yip - if none of the above helps - throw said laptop out of window as original thought ;)

As far as I can remember some of the pioneer drivers are windows embedded and won't install with a new service pack. You might have to revert to the original state of the operating system. Re-install the operating system from usb pen (can't roll back some service pack installs) and the driver, then the updates(takes ages :-( )
or
You can try running >Unknown devices<. This will give the true name of the missing device driver and a quick google will find a service pack compatible one.

Cheers, Yip - I will try that one! I had located the driver in the system32 folder but Vista won't let me delete the bloody thing!

Thanks Mix - yes it is windows embedded. If all else fails I will have to clear my USB memory sticks and load recovery onto those ..... that will be another 94 windows updates to sit through!!! lol

Thanks again, Yip ....... bl**dy dvd had disappeared again tonight. I have now copied the instructions and saved them for next time!!

:D

Back