High mileage a problem?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr@c

Hi all firstly sorry if this Is in the wrong place or has been covered before but I couldn't find anything.

Basically I'm looking for a 1.7 and am doing a bit of research etc for a track car, there are a few Puma's local to me that are dirt cheap, but the mileage's are fairly high from around 105 to 140 thousand miles. I can't shake the feeling that for a track car that will take some abuse I should be looking for less on the clock??

I know this may seem like a stupid question to most but I am not as knowledgeable about the engine side of cars yet, I've always mostly dealt with the other mechanics, any help on this would be appriciated so thanks in advance,

Paul

If i were going to build a serious track car i would go for about 80k and still rebuild the engine with components designed to take it, components that would be the ones to fail after a long life, so pretty much the entire bottom end. It also depends on what power you want and how you want it delivered.

But for a bogo puma on the track go for something as tight as possible, there's always low mileage bargains popping up. I've had two. One i got for 1100 with 46k and the other for 795 with 56k so the good ones are out there for a good price, just keep hunting

Wel, yes and no, even the best kept engien can suddenly deside to fail, but generaly they are werry good, mine has now done 235.000 or so km

And mine runs like a deeam, granted, almost the entire car has been replaced around it :)

But I would say yes, if you find one that has been kept propperly, you should be ok, but in general, the lower the milage, and newer the car, the better :)

It's kind of what I thought, thanks for your input :eek:k:

I am kind of going to be 'cutting my teeth' on this one, ill be trying to learn as I go as far as engine work and I was in two minds wether to attempt some engine rebuilding also. I have perfect access to a few mechanics as the house I rent is right next door to a small garage as the owner owns the house lol so should I ever get stuck its not far to go for immediate help lol.

I'll keep looking for that good deal :wink:

Perhaps this would help a bit? http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14544&hilit=how+long+can+a+puma+last%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My personal opinion is that mileage alone is not an issue, as long as it's been looked after.
My puma now has 170k miles on it. Yes, quite a few of those miles are motorway miles, but quite a few of those are motorway miles on the way to the Nurburgring or Puma meets where it then spent a lot of it's time at about 6k RPM :)

Wild E. Coyote said:
Perhaps this would help a bit? http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14544&hilit=how+long+can+a+puma+last%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow I guess mileage isn't always an issue lol :cool:

MikePass said:
My personal opinion is that mileage alone is not an issue, as long as it's been looked after.
My puma now has 170k miles on it. Yes, quite a few of those miles are motorway miles, but quite a few of those are motorway miles on the way to the Nurburgring or Puma meets where it then spent a lot of it's time at about 6k RPM :)

Fair point there, I'm hoping that will be the case with me when I ever get one sorted :eek:k: my goal is doing the Nurburgring, always wanted to do that :)

Latest posts

Back