I have this image in my head ...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBailey

I bought my 1.7 from Ebay for £650 and for what I got that was a damn good price.

Travelled to Great Yarmouth to get her in the pouring rain then drove her back home (3+ hour drive)
... I should add at this point I can't actually drive her properly yet as I've only got a provisional licence (something that I'm rectifying asap), so my other half drive her home for me. :)

This is her,
puma15_zpsbbdeda78.jpg

Puma25_zps44b25c6a.jpg

Annnd as you can see from these pictures she has some rust issues at the moment...

puma5_zps9a8c4cf5.jpg

puma4_zpsf6217c1c.jpg

But I have been told this is fixable, and as I'll be changing the body kit at some point I'm not too worried.

Originally I wasn't going to project my first car as it was only supposed to be a cheap run around to get me used to driving, unfortunately I was shown a Puma and fell in love. :p

I have many plans to put in place and it's going to cost me a few pennies but by the time I'm finished she will be even more beautiful.

More to follow. ^_^

Looks like a bargain hope it turns out to be in the long run. Give it a good survey before you start spending any money on bling things,to make sure the basics are dealt with and your spending your dosh wisely
Good luck with it :thumbs:

Okay, so we've changed the left rear baring as it sounded like it needed it and low it was completely smashed up inside. :?
I forgot to take pictures as I hadn't even thought about starting a project feed. >_<

Plans are a foot to change the right rear too just to make sure that's not smashed up as well.

Thought I'd also mention a few of the plans I have for my girl,

I've bought this as I really don't like the silver one - any tips on how to get the old one out would be much appreciated.
http://www.ebayitem.com/150903949392

I've also bought this as I'm getting a new stereo.
http://www.ebayitem.com/160770468310

And just to change the look and feel I bought this, yes I know it's not exactly for a handbrake but it'll do the job. :lol: Hopefully.
http://www.ebayitem.com/130748196206

The plan is to eventually have a black and red interior ( I have a thing for black and red) and so long as I can afford it the updates will be coming thick and fast.

:-D

I've agreed with the other half that we will make a list of all the mechanical things that need/possibly need doing before I spend any big money on sparkly things.

I'm lucky that he knows what he's doing when it comes to cars and we should be able to do most if not all the work ourselves.

^_^

I have not done it myself but iirc I believe you will see the screws holding in the heater control panel when you take the radio out.

Awesome sauce :D I kinda thought as much but thought it best to ask just to be sure.

Thanks ^_^

I've been asked to ask about a chugging thing my cars does, Baz (other half) thinks it may be an engine mount but isn't sure. Does any one have any ideas?

Is it a chugging you only hear when you first pull away after starting the car at say 12 mph?

As quest said when you take out the head unit there are a couple of screws that release the heater control panel, I took mine off to check what lights were behind it.
On a scale of 1-10 with one being easiest its a 1 Lol
I have a silver handbrake cover and silver type carbon gaitor if you want to swap for your old heater control panel.
Pm me if interested
Shane

quest63 said:
Is it a chugging you only hear when you first pull away after starting the car at say 12 mph?

It's on hard acceleration and on deceleration under 1500rpm.

He says it doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping and that it feels like something else.
:/

Shanosburgess said:
I have a silver handbrake cover and silver type carbon gaitor if you want to swap for your old heater control panel.
Pm me if interested
Shane

Mine will be going black at some point in the near future but thanks for the offer, we can come to some arrangement about the silver heater panel if you want it. :)

I've got carbon wrap plans for the dash and at some point I'll be spraying the main dash (you know what I mean right?) with plastic dye so that will be matt black.

The stereo I have in mind is black with red lights :p

Basically I'm getting rid of all the silver stuff and replacing it or making it black. :)

BunnyBailey said:
quest63 said:

It's on hard acceleration and on deceleration under 1500rpm.

He says it doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping and that it feels like something else.
:/

Hmm one mans chugg is another mans cheese and pastrami sandwich :grin: but perhaps its the lower gearbox mount back of the gearbox on the passenger side

heres an advert for reference purposes I wouldnt recommend a used one though
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-97-02-BOTTOM-GEARBOX-MOUNT-/320506873288?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4a9fb2c5c8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what he thought ... About the mount not the sandwich. ^_^

And parts aren't a problem as he works at a motor factors which is lucky for me :p

Thanks for the help. :thumbs:

Soooo we changed the other baring today and I remembered to take pictures.

smashedbaring_zps85ec1d05.jpg

This is not what you ant to find but from the noise it was making it was expected.

One new, one old and broken.
newandoldbaring_zps26b31601.jpg

That's both back barings changed and as both were in the same state I'm glad we did it now rather than later, the baring carrier (outside bit on the baring) was made of plastic and had given out in a major way.

The weird chugging thing that was happening which made us think an engine mount needed changing has stopped, so we're hoping it was just the barings being in such a state of fail.

This weekend will see the change of the front droplinks and fitting of the new heater and stereo and I think a suspension change may be needed fairly soon too.

So, I changed the heater panel and fitted the stereo adaptor and my new stereo. :thumbs:

stereosection_zpsfe1631ae.jpg

Tomorrow will see the drop links, drive shaft and engine mounts changed, or at least as much of it as possible.

We're also tackling the rust problem round the rear arches, hopefully it wont look too bad but with a body kit being bought in the future I'm not overly worried.

I'm wanting to change the steering wheel but I'm unsure about the boss situation and how high it will make the wheel sit from the levers.
Was thinking of getting these ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110950577...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6258wt_1163
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180916966...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1415wt_1164

Also if any one has any tips on what bulbs to use to change the lights in the buttons and clock on the dash and in the doors it would be much appreciated.

^_^

The buttons if i rember correctly are covered in a guide they are i think standard leds with resistors soldered to positive legs, to do the clock its small surface mount leds (not too hard if you take your time and have a spare set of hands to tweezer the old ones off and the new ones on whilst you solder) for the dash clocks/dials i used some three way leds x 2
All from ebay, not sure but might gave part numbers on my project etc thread if not i can try and get them for you.
Shane

I shall have a look for the guide as I really have no idea how to do them, I was sent a guide on how to change the clock leds by Crazyleds.co.uk which is where I bought my ones.

I plan to get a completely different gear knob at some point, possibly after the winter hallmark holiday.

:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back