Looking for Puma have seen this 1 what do you think

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyperb

Hi All,

Been looking for a puma for a while but want the right 1 which I want to last, seen this 1, what do you think, no service history so it's a gamble so would have to do cambletkit and pump plus oil and filter which could take total cost to approx £1200, should I look for another ?

Looks like no rust on this, does this mean if no rust on arches and sills underneath car is likely to be in reasonable condition or am I wrong, also on gov uk MOT history looks like it's had a history of suspension issues amongst others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7-2001MY-/191773591237?hash=item2ca698c6c5:g:CNoAAOSwo0JWQzV3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for your input

Regards,

Brian.

Just my personal view, but I'd be looking for another one. Ebay link states 3 owners - MOT history suggests to me that 1st owner had it up to 2009 and then the 2nd owner totally neglected it from then on. Yet again failed MOT October 2015 and part-exd to this garage soon after that.

As you say, had suspension problems, but I see some history of rust on arches, sills and floor pans in the past. That is not terrible in itself so long as they were fixed properly, but that 2nd owner wasn't exactly falling over themselves to get other stuff fixed, so.....

Try Gumtree. Be patient, but be ready to move quick and expect to travel a few miles in the area you are in. Look and prod underneath and avoid any ads that say - 'No timewasters' - they will either be wasting your time or be rogues.

Good luck :)

There are still loads of half decent Pumas around so take your time.

Personally I wouldn't want a silver one unless its an immaculate full history Thunder, everyones got a
silver Puma - more of them than any other colour.

I'd also want at least some service history and papertrail and ideally proof of a cambelt change so at least you
have a time scale for replacement.

And theres not much benefit of buying from a dealer with a Puma - 3 months parts and possibly labour warranty at most -
and then your also paying for their profit margin. Theres at least £100/£150 in that car for them.

Good hunting - I love trawling the ads/ebay/gumtree etc etc when I'm after a car. You find some real gems, usually 500 miles away, and equally some stuff that needs crushing !!

Thank you very much guys :grin:

I was attracted by the look of the puma but you have been my voice of reason pointing out issues that have made me decide to walk on by.

The gov history checker is a great site and Frank you have been thorough in identifying a story of neglect by the 2nd owner which must have been using it as a runabout.

So I will continue to look and remain patient....will keep you in the loop.

Thanks again guys.

Brian.

whilst looking when add was posted i remember thinking the doors looked a different colour from the back end so now you have mentioned i suppose that confirms it, buying a puma is a bit of a minefield but it's cheap, has amazing specs and economical so will continue my mission to find a decent example and will appreciate your help with this :grin:

thanks,

Brian

the 2nd hand car market is dead especially this time of year and I know this will upset people on here but very few people want or can afford to run/insure something like a puma in this price bracket. its a buyers market and in my opinion you should be able to get a really good example for £1000.00 and something pretty good for £600ish as i would expect any private seller will have had very little serious interest. I wouldnt bother with trade as they will be flogging £100 auction cars for £1k

good points as i have noticed a right good few pumas not selling and if you buy one then it may be hard to sell on but i am looking to keep a puma for long term so don't need to worry about that.

seems to me there is no point in entertaining buying a puma with no service history, especially the 1.7 as the oil grade used in the past is important to that engine, have noticed a few which are bought by mechanics, used as a runner and fixed up to pass mot for selling on, would rather buy from someone who has owned for many years but this is hard to find as the puma is so old now and most enthusiasts have moved on to something new, leaving them to owners who neglect then end up in auctions but will keep looking for sure.

Brian

when i got mine about a year and a half ago there was a really mint example going for £1000.00 3 months later it was still for sale but at £600.00

Yes as others have said on here widen your search i found mine on gumtree totally unexpected it had only been advertised for 8 hrs i was lucky,keep looking the right puma will soon come up for you im sure. :)

Latest posts

Back