My 97 Melina

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ta very much :) Yup, I'm pleased with the results so far. Just got to keep that attention to detail for the last top and laquer coats and they should look good as new. New centre caps are on their way to finish them off. I was going to replace the O.Z graphics but I actually prefer them without now I have seen them.

Because of the apparent over cooling and the copious exhaust popping under engine braking, i've been a bit twitchy lately about putting all this effort in only to see the car fail it's mot on emissions. So i got them tested today and the car sailed through.
Co was high on idle but i expect that was because the car was barely watm.
A big relief and now i best crack on :)

is it standard for a puma to pop like that? Part of the map?
I know the race tube has an effect but heh...they are proper nice pops ;)

Ah right. Why does the TAPE ecu cause pops? Is it built into the map to overfuel when you lift off the gas or summat?

Ta for the very kind comment on the wheels :)

A little update, though things haven't progressed as fast as I'd have liked.
The new rubber is on and balanced and it's had an alignment. Very good, much better
An interesting thing happened at the alignment. The car was up on a lift running for a fair while. I expect I've mentioned that the fan hasn't worked since I got the car. Well it's up there getting hotter and I am down on the deck willing it not to overheat. Focusing on it. And the ruddy fan comes on and starts cycling. It's now fine. Am I now officially a Jedi? :D
The exhaust has been adjusted due to it starting to clank. The front mount on the hoffman pipe was clanking against the box section next to it. A minor adjustment but very much better for it. I did the heat shield again though this time I gave up on the idea of using big fat washers to hold the things in place and used a few self tappers to relocate the fixings. Good as new.
I fitted a nos lock in the passenger door and learnt just how much of a pain that is on a Puma. Good as new though. Renewed the door card clips at the same time.....though the f'in cards are still popping out of the top strip and squeaking. Minor grrrr.
Sorted the heater resistor and got all four speeds.
I've now got the front wheels to a 'finished' state. Tbh I will probably repaint them at some point as they aint perfect but whilst the car still has a few dints and a scabby arch, they'll do. They're certainly way better than they were and the hard bit is done. The bodywork will be a winter affair up in the barn so once the rears are laquered, the wheels can stay as they are for now.
I also found out today that the car actually has an odd non factory ecu (a P051) that may or may not be influencing some minor running issues. Which may hurry on a remap at Celtic Tuning.

But, sadly, MOT has just run out. My neighbour got snowed under and the welding isn't finished. Hopefully it will be this week and we'll be back on the road. That welding really is the last job before it should be ready. Oh and I have to replace the crankshaft seal when I do the cambelt, it's died and bleeding.

Latest posts

Back