My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Voa said:
cheers warren I am assuming the 1mm stuff is easier to cut or should I be using a specific type of hack saw?
get yourself a tungsten carbide cutting wheel for a dremel or similar from perma-grit. They also do rod saws for hacksaw frames which will work too. Dremel tools are far quicker!! just tape the edge and draw a pencil line for the cut so you dont wander. The tape will stop the edge of the carbon cracking/chipping.

Had some more bits turn up for the car last night, mocal 13 row oil cooler and sandwich plate, plus pipes, wont be using the pipes that come with it though as there only rubber, gonna get some braided hose with aeroquip fittings...

... got a mountain of parts mounting up in the shed that need fitting! just need to find a spare day where i can crack on with it all

Right finally got my finger out and started doing some work on the car... its off the road for winter now, so going to start getting busy and getting some jobs done on the car ready for some more fun next year!!

First job was cleaning the floor up of the rest of the sound deading.. also done the big slab above the fuel tank! more weight saved!
Picture365.jpg

part of my plan for the winter is to remove the orange from the car, getting bored of it now and its not how i want it to look..
so with that ive wrapped the wing mirrors on carbon vynal.. poor first attempt but i'l re-do them again at some point
Picture362.jpg

Picture363.jpg

also wrapped the dash board ends
Picture364.jpg

Main big spend so far has been the bodywork repairs, the car is now rust free, had the rear arches and the B pillars around the bottom of the doors, looks a million times better now! will also be undersealing it soon!
Picture356.jpg

Picture355.jpg

Picture357.jpg

also been gathering a few parts for the car
New Oil and Filter
Picture349.jpg

Motul 600 Brake Fluid
Picture350.jpg

Bits needed to fit my oil pressure guage
Picture351.jpg

Magnetic Sump Plug
Picture353.jpg

13 Row Mocal Oil Cooler
Picture347.jpg

20mm rear beam spacers
Picture348.jpg

oh yeh... and the best bit! 4 Pot Brembo's!! :grin: will be sending them away for a full rebuild, just not sure what colour to have them powder coated.. maybe thinking anodised purple??
Picture354.jpg

Anyway...This weekends fun and games, fancied shedding more weight from the car and the rear bumper was the candidate for some work,

Started by removing the bumper, and then splitting the inner frame from the bumper skin, also drilled some holes along the bottom of the bumper

Bumper without frame
Picture345.jpg

Frame removed - quite a heavy chunk of plastic this!
Picture344.jpg

Now i was going to use bonnet pins to fix it to the car, but the pins aren't long enough so i cam up with another solution, i cut the inner frame in half..

and the bottom - now in the bin!
Picture369.jpg

reattched the top part of the frame with alot of silicone and then secured with some clamps and left to dry
Picture367.jpg

Picture366.jpg

Thats that for now, the bumper is in the shed drying off, will re fit the bumper tomorrow night and hopefully fingers crossed it'll fix nice and solid!

oh and i also fitted a few cheecky stickers! :p
Picture361.jpg

where you putting the oil pressure guage? you may find that t piece is too tight to fit in the oem spot..

yeh i saw what you did with yours, i'l probs do it the same way as you!

pressue guage will be in the dash where the centre air vent would be, will make a neat carbon panel to fit in there with the guage and a kill switch

i didnt in the end i just used some adapters and that gave me enough clearance, i still have the pipe if you want? 1/4npt male to 1/4npt female

5er posted

rear bumper didnt go to plan... silicone is no good for sticking, need something stronger me thinks!

thats for the offer steve but im not big on the idea of using a pipe, its just another weak point that could split, and that wouldnt be good!

PumaJay said:
rear bumper didnt go to plan... silicone is no good for sticking, need something stronger me thinks!

thats for the offer steve but im not big on the idea of using a pipe, its just another weak point that could split, and that wouldnt be good!

Didn't think it would work ..........I have a spare bumper that I have been trying to do the same lol , besides round holes drilled I haven't really really haven't worked out how to cut it down.

You tried this plastic cement stuff?

im going for tiger seal next, will give it another bash and see how it goes, should hold it together ok.

will be order some more bits and bobs for the car soon, and starting the overhaul of the braking system, full braided hose throughout, hydraulic handbrake, bias valve, Brembo 4 pots up front and rear disc conversion!

ive never used tiger seal before so dont know what its like, the sikaflex ive used loads of times and it is awesome stuff,because its marine it can take alot of weathering and its really strong and flexible,ive see loads of people use it on boat engine transoms before. if the tiger seal is pretty much the same you will be on a winner mate

what i would do (if it was me) was build some metal brackets and weld or bolt on the rear crash panel then fasten the bumper on to them using dzus fastners

madhillbilly17 said:
ive never used tiger seal before so dont know what its like, the sikaflex ive used loads of times and it is awesome stuff,because its marine it can take alot of weathering and its really strong and flexible,ive see loads of people use it on boat engine transoms before. if the tiger seal is pretty much the same you will be on a winner mate

Sikaflex is that the stuff used to bond spoilers?

I still would be worried about my bumper falling off and straight into another car :roll:

madhillbilly17 said:
youve disappointed me steve adhesive weighs less that metal brackets lol

not really sure about that one either :lol: couple of ally strips bent up as brackets, i reckon would be lighter then sealant (have you felt the weight of a tube of sealant)

Latest posts

Back