Newbie with first puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickb200

Hello everyone

Just bought my first puma.

I was needing a daily driver as my 200sx is off the road and i wanted something with a bit of poke to do some track days. I had £900 as my budget and was looking at the usual saxos and 106s.

My mate who is a ford mechanic said get a puma they handle mint and are pretty nippy so i did and here i am.

Ive bought a moondust silver 1.7 one owner full history 70k and i paid £450. An absolute bargain except the bodywork is rough as hell and its got a strange overheating problem.

It runs fine with the heater on hot in traffic or hammering it but if you turn the heater to cold it starts to get really hot.

I thought it was the water pump or thermostat so i changed them both last weekend and it hasnt made any difference. Nightmare job as well. The radiator is hot and all the hoses are hot including all the ones connected to the heater valve.

Anyone any ideas?

Welcome aboard :thumbs: consider changing the HCV technically it shouldn't be able to cause an overheating problem but many people find that it does.Use a Ford one not a cheap ebay job.

Puma's are also very prone to airlocks so make triple sure you havent created one when you did your pump and thermostat.

Consider getting a sniff test to exclude a head gasket problem

Good luck with it

I was considering bypassing the hcv valve with copper pipe and seeing if that made a difference, and to save myself £40 odd quid haha. Are pumas prone to headgasket problems. My mate said they hardly ever go. Theres no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil and no smoke either.

Sounds like a good plan. HCV's failures are very very common, headgaskets fairly rare but there are some

Ill get cracking at the weekend if it ever stops bloody raining. Any tips on good mods to do for trackdays or easy ways to get more power ?

Welcome to ProjP :eek:k:

Hope you get the overheating problem sorted.
Where are you from? Theres always some track days and other events being organised on here.. stick around

Remove the speed sensor from the gearbox, you lose the spedo but more importantly lose the torque limiter on 1st and 2nd gear
Have fun and welcome aboard

Latest posts

Back