power steering pipe 1.7 pump to rack

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambeck

Hi everyone. Great forum and i.m hoping someone might be able to help me. I'm looking for the power steering pipe from pump to rack from a 1.7 with air con. It is the pipe that runs to the front of the engine and over the top of the air con pump in metal for cooling. Any help or info would be great as i can't find one anywhere.

Welcome aboard :thumbs:

This one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-puma-1-7-PAS-power-steering-cooling-pipe-/261107831588?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ccb3d5324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I lost the will to live waiting lol, so I swallowed the bullet some time ago and forked out £150 to Fords.

Mine was the pump to rack one with the sensor in it though

Cheers Quest but sadly not that one! It is one from the rack that comes down the side of the engine and then loops accross the front of the air con pump before going back down the side of the engine and up to the pump. I know it is 1.7 with air con spacific and that Ford do not have any!! It is not looking hopefull. Mine has rusted through and sprung a leak. :-(

Ford should have them but like with mine you have to order and pay for it first, mine took about 10 days to come.

I think Ginger Tom had a new unused one for an aircon car iirc

Just for ref (as I had to get one of these a few months ago), it's this bit, yes?

racktopump.jpg

Got mine from Ian, bugger to change - did it from above and below without removing any other parts. I treated mine against rust before putting it in (especially the metal parts that hang right at the front of the car) and covered the most exposed parts with some rubber hose to prevent puncturing from stones or other bits that might fly underneath the car at speed.

Take it off and take it to your local Pirtek branch, they should be able to knock one up for you pretty cheap. They did my mate's pipe across the front of the crossmember for £40

I contacted Pirtek who said they could maybe repair a pipe but could not produce a copy of a combination metal and rubber pipe with a sensor in it.

That picture is the pipe i am after and still not found one yet. I had a look at getting it off tonight and it does look bloody awkward to get at. I don't suppose you have one do you Ian?

You have to remove the steering knuckle inside the car and remove the plastic covers so you can get a spanner on the union on the rack

Yeah i wondered if you would have to. I got the two mounting brackets off at the front and with some struggle got the back one off below the rack. I then moved onto the top union into the pump and could not shift it. the only 18mm spammer i had was too long and could not get it on with any space to turn it. At that point i'd had enough and gave it up as a bad job for the evening :evil:

I ended up having to break the old pipe off from the front union to get a socket on it as it rounded off, and even then I had to hit it with a lump hammer.

Latest posts

Back