Project Aiya (Pic heavy)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shock, horror! :shock: woke up to a wet drivers footwell again thanks to all that rain yesterday! Im starting to wonder if its coming through the top of the bulkhead somewhere near the scuttle.

Time to get crazy with the sealant!

slayllian said:
Yeah tell me about it, it has decided to return this morning! Going to remove the mud flap entirely tonight, to see if that stops it! if not I'm on the hunt again! :pinkeye:

Traced the last squeak to the topmount on the rear n/s, so will replace this in time, at least I have located it now. stripped the whole rear of the car last night hunting for it, sat in the boot on a bumpy road while my wife drove the car! funny! lol.

Quick update:

slayllian said:
This is where the oil leaked from, the breather, which I found will only fit on with the arrow towards the rear, not the front:

Aiya (2) by slayllian, on Flickr
Previously in my nievity I tried to turn the top half of the breather round alone, but thanks to everyone who gave advice on here I realised the whole breather needed to be turned around so the tapered bottom is facing the opposite way. This has now cured the oil leak. 8)

However when checking the oil level I dropped a small piece of cable tie into the gearbox never to return, no matter how much I fished it! :oops: (instead I now use an allen key which I have a good grip on, dont want to loose that :pinkeye: and dip the end in the filler hole, to avoid more misshaps).

Next I changed the oil in the hope of flushing cable tie out, no luck! I tried flushing the oil again the next day, but it appears to have disintegrated into the oil. So I will change the oil again next month. She is running fine at the moment and the gearbox is as smooth as ever, so fingers crossed!

I'm going to book her in to have one of her arches done tonight, should be in the works shop in a months time, then I will get the other side done the following month. The guy I'm using is dearer than the original quote @ £3-400 a side, but he will guarantee his work and also shot blasts the whole panel. :thumbs:

Cant wait to see her looking like new!

I wouldn't have thought a cable tie would cause any damage surely? Better safe than sorry though I guess.
Looking smart. :cool:

So 800 for both sides all adds up, glad my one has perfect arches :grin:

tux said:
I wouldn't have thought a cable tie would cause any damage surely? Better safe than sorry though I guess.
Looking smart. :cool:

That's what I'm hoping, but like you say I will change it to be safe, think its broken up.

Voa said:
So 800 for both sides all adds up, glad my one has perfect arches :grin:

I was debating about getting both done by someone for £450, but his work has no guarantee and even though I will be paying more than I bought the car for I cant stop myself :lol: The car is worth so much more to me than its market value :D

Cars all booked in to get its first wheel arch done, bit of a wait tho, not in untill october! He is going to sort the bottom of the door out at the same time for me :grin:

Time for an update:

slayllian said:
However when checking the oil level I dropped a small piece of cable tie into the gearbox never to return, no matter how much I fished it! :oops: (instead I now use an allen key which I have a good grip on, dont want to loose that :pinkeye: and dip the end in the filler hole, to avoid more misshaps).

Next I changed the oil in the hope of flushing cable tie out, no luck! I tried flushing the oil again the next day, but it appears to have disintegrated into the oil. So I will change the oil again next month. She is running fine at the moment and the gearbox is as smooth as ever, so fingers crossed!
Some pics of the oil change, just wondering if anyone can tell me whats going on with the gearbox oil, is that oxygen in the oil making it milky, whats that grey stuff? I'm thinking it might be some sort of additive.

Oil coming out of the filler (previously been over filled)

281 by slayllian, on Flickr

283 by slayllian, on Flickr

Decanted it into smaller containers:

282 by slayllian, on Flickr

Settled with this gray stuff at the bottom?

Italy 2011 040 by slayllian, on Flickr

Italy 2011 038 by slayllian, on Flickr

Thinking its some sort of addative?

My Birthday 043 by slayllian, on Flickr

Flushing through with new oil:

285 by slayllian, on Flickr

I managed to fill from above by removing the air pipe and using a funnel:

284 by slayllian, on Flickr

The gearbox seems to be running ok at the moment, but I will change the oil again in the next month to flush the remainder of the cable tie.

Had another stab at the water ingress situation. So far so good, had just over a week of heavy rain and still holding. I followed Arch Bishops thread and sealed all the suspect areas around the bulkhead. I used roof sealant, far more durable than bathroom sealant!

Cleared around bulkhead so I could gain access (also used this time to give scuttle a good clean):

275 by slayllian, on Flickr

Used roof sealant to seal all suspect areas, then refitted all components:

276 by slayllian, on Flickr

278 by slayllian, on Flickr

277 by slayllian, on Flickr

Gave the engine another quick spruce up:

279 by slayllian, on Flickr

280 by slayllian, on Flickr

Next I decided to carry out a temporary repair on the damaged front wing:

Before:

Ayia (66) by slayllian, on Flickr

As the bottom fixings had rotten away the wing sat proud, managed to temporarily bodge it back into position:

My Birthday 045 by slayllian, on Flickr

I chipped away the loose metal and then rust treated:

My Birthday 047 by slayllian, on Flickr

My Birthday 048 by slayllian, on Flickr

filled as best I could, then put the car on stands so I could clean and paint more of the underside:

My Birthday 050 by slayllian, on Flickr

My Birthday 054 by slayllian, on Flickr

My Birthday 052 by slayllian, on Flickr

My Birthday 055 by slayllian, on Flickr

Then with the wheels off, I painted the bottom of the wing and tidied up the wheel arch:

My Birthday 056 by slayllian, on Flickr

My Birthday 057 by slayllian, on Flickr

A little tidier, at least its not hanging off:

My Birthday 059 by slayllian, on Flickr

My Birthday 060 by slayllian, on Flickr

Mine and the Missus car, trying to persuade her to get a puma :wink:

My Birthday 058 by slayllian, on Flickr

Managed to wrangle these from Ebay, for £140:

001 by slayllian, on Flickr

From a Fiesta ZS P1, in much better condition than my existing wheels:

002 by slayllian, on Flickr

They were a straight swap, but had been sitting around for a while as they were all flat:

003 by slayllian, on Flickr

Think with the lower suspension, it looks much sportier:

005 by slayllian, on Flickr

007e (2) by slayllian, on Flickr

The car is off the road for the next week, so I will use the time to strip the interior. I will also remove the rear suspension, to see if I can sort the last remaining squeek! :cool:

Will post some pics as I go along!

Taken the car off the road for the next week, so I have used the time to strip the interior to sort out any rust and niggling problems.

• These include fixing the water leak through the scuttle plate (now sorted)
    fixing any rust
    waxoyling all prone areas
    replacing both front belts
    cleaning interior carpets & linings
    I also plan to sort the drivers door lock

I will also post a how to guide in the next week or so, on how to remove the interior. I still have a couple of bits to remove (the door cards and seat belts) but I will include these in the guide.

Water coming the scuttle plate, I have now sealed this up:

050 by slayllian, on Flickr

Dashboard removed:

049 by slayllian, on Flickr

081 by slayllian, on Flickr

Carpet removed:

086 by slayllian, on Flickr

105 by slayllian, on Flickr

104 by slayllian, on Flickr

Been out sealing up any holes and fixing the rust in the body, coming along nicely, will hopefully post some pictures tomorrow. Cant wait to get it all back together so I can get behind the wheel again! :happee:

Looking good, wish mine was that clean inside! Looks like someone hs dumped a load of rubber bark stuff from a playground in at the moment.

You just sealing up any problems, and putting it all back to standard?

Back