Puma rs turbo

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naz_b23

Hi guys just 1 question how hard is it and what do I need to put a cvh rs turbo engine in my puma

To be honest it can be done,but why when there are some better engines that can be fitted,cvh is getting a very old engine now,and turbod are not really the most reliable engine

It's just I saw a car for sale on gumtree and I was Just thought y not even tho I have. Spare puma in my garage

I think it would be easier to turbo the 1.7/1.6 from a puma. Or even supercharge. Theres a lot of info how to do it on this site.

I haven't done it myself but it doesn't look that hard to do, and they seem to be reliable. Someone on here done a 1.7 turbo conversion on a budget of £1k, I think it gained about 50-60hp (but also a lot more torque). I don't think its really that good of an idea to try and extract too much power from the 1.7 (eg 250hp+), by the time you get it performing on its limit like a focus RS engine you might aswell use a focus RS engine (harder to install but then you have so many more tuning options). So thats what some people do. I think, from what I've seen, for about £2k you could break 200hp on a 1.7 if you done a lot of the work yourself and got it mapped, and it would be reliable (I would bet a fair bit more reliable than a 200hp RS turbo engine). I think thats a nice sweet spot personally.

Also one other thing to consider is the 1.7 is quite a light engine and was designed for the car, so you might find you don't like how it handles after changing to a heavier engine like the RS turbo one.

I was thinking about turboing my 1.7 puma I have to I black edition and 1 thunder (currently driving) I'm think of just turbo the black 1 it's just that I need to find the sources I can get the turbo I was thinking what type of manifold flange may be need if seen compile of people using the Standerd 1 but just grave caring a flage on it

What's about super charging what would I Ned for that

Heres a few threads, should help you out. If you use the search link in the top menu of the site you can search for more info/projects.
Budget turbo: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=13600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Supercharger: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=21119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duratec turbo: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=10961" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've made my own flange at the cost of a tenner!

f3195db5670bab51a67967bb742072fa_zpsd6d82c70.jpg

I like that flange u made m8 I rant her use the Standerd 1 because it's to much hasel making custom Standerd it is then ok guys thanks for the tips gonna start my 1.7 turbo project today wish me luck

O forgot to mention what turbo is that or which turbo is the best to use my brother says to me t25 garret

You're going at this the wrong way. You say it's too much hassle to make a custom manifold... Well buy one made. There's also draw backs to using the standard exhaust manifold in that the exhaust gas flow comes to a restriction and choke point.
What turbo is best to use... Well it depends what you want, where you want the power, how much power you want, what management are you wanting to use... Believe me, you can't just 'start' a turbo project still asking these questions. Yes, of the few turbo pumas around the most common is a used Saab GT25, but there have been T2's used and I have a GT2860R.. So it depends on what I said before... What do you want.

russv said:
I think it would be easier to turbo the 1.7/1.6 from a puma. Or even supercharge. Theres a lot of info how to do it on this site.

I haven't done it myself but it doesn't look that hard to do, and they seem to be reliable. Someone on here done a 1.7 turbo conversion on a budget of £1k, I think it gained about 50-60hp (but also a lot more torque). I don't think its really that good of an idea to try and extract too much power from the 1.7 (eg 250hp+), by the time you get it performing on its limit like a focus RS engine you might aswell use a focus RS engine (harder to install but then you have so many more tuning options). So thats what some people do. I think, from what I've seen, for about £2k you could break 200hp on a 1.7 if you done a lot of the work yourself and got it mapped, and it would be reliable (I would bet a fair bit more reliable than a 200hp RS turbo engine). I think thats a nice sweet spot personally.

Also one other thing to consider is the 1.7 is quite a light engine and was designed for the car, so you might find you don't like how it handles after changing to a heavier engine like the RS turbo one.

Ford customised two vehicles (Puma 1.7 RS Turbo) to produce 280 PS (original specs on the engine dyno, the owners claims 300 PS on the rolling dyno at the moment).
They were prototypes though and not produced because the choice fell on the Focus RS models. One of the proto's still drives and is a regular guest at Dutch & German meetings. It has allready quite a lot on the clock afaik.
To put that amount of power reliably on the street you need to modify a lot of components, chassis, suspension, gearbox (cogs must be strengthened), driveshafts etcetera.

Okay, Tuninghaus started that in late 2002, When it was a small company, it's Very unlikely that Ford would have used them especially when that was the time they cut the puma. There was a turbo version considered ie the St160 but costs outweighed the return sales. The Tuninghaus one that they call an RS model was not designed with that in mind

Flying Scotsman said:
Okay, Tuninghaus started that in late 2002, When it was a small company, it's Very unlikely that Ford would have used them especially when that was the time they cut the puma. There was a turbo version considered ie the St160 but costs outweighed the return sales. The Tuninghaus one that they call an RS model was not designed with that in mind

I was told by them differently.. :roll:

Latest posts

Back