Rear Shocks Knocking & Problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbauk2002

Hi guys

Searched the forums and couldnt find anything that can help but found people with same problem

So i bought my 1999 1.7 T Reg Puma about 2 weeks ago, the bloke i bought it off said both the rear shocks needed replacing because they were knocking, so i thought fair enough ill replace them both, and purchased 2 used shocks from a breaker

Problem i was getting was knocking from both rear suspension sides, and coming off a curb, or over a bump or pot hole i would get an almighty bang sounding like the shocks were coming through floor

Anyway i bought 2 replacements, and i go to removed the old ones, and i notice the top cup that sandwiches the shock to the frame, that there is about an 8mm cap beneath the cup and the car frame meaning the shocks can move freely? The problem is the cup has a spacer on the bottom of it stopping it from going all the way down.

ive spoke to my local car parts place and he was clueless, he then rang up ford parts dealer and he didnt have a clue either

I know it wont pass mot because if you push the car side to side there is far too much movement, if anyone can shed any light onto this i will be extremly greatful, craig

are the replacement shocks, from the same age puma? They may have changed the spec half way through the production run, I know the front ones where changed.

thats what i was thinking, maybe the guy fitted new suspension and cups are from a different model, dont even know where to buy the cups though, found a puma at a breakers and the car is in the sky on top of another car, so axel is gonna drop and kill me if i take em off

the only change in the suspention was at the rear ....97,98 had fork mounts et the botom end of the shocks, later models had a eye mount and that is it .... what about the bushes ...how do they lock ....

There is ewen a posibility that you hear the noise from the front .... tray to check front anti roll bar link arms :wink: they make that knocking sound alsow .... had a simular situation myself .... swapet those ..... and i won ..no more knocking :twisted:

http://pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im seriously thinkin of just grinding a few mm off the bottom of the spacer on the cups and hope they clamp down nicely

then ill go for a spin to check for knocking lol

any idea what i should be looking for on the anti roll bar link arms? or is it just perished rubbers?

Cars beginning to worry me now, think its revving too high, noise when i turn steering wheel, 99% times starts first turn, 1% wont start for about 5 seconds

The gaps are pretty normal as far as I gather and nothing to do with your knocking (probably), I've got similar gaps and no knocks.

Did you change the rubber top mounts when you changed the shocks? If the shocks were gone they are bound to be as well. If it's not the top mounts it could be the rear beam bushes, they caused an almighty clattering on my car before they were replaced.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Hi

ill have to have a good look, i didnt take the old shocks off, i just noticed the gap when i started to take them off and thought this was the problem,

what am i looking for in a worn bush?

if it helps solve the problem the other day i was driving, and i went over man hole and felt like the whole rear of the car shot to one side pretty badly

pore shocks ore bad dampers ...is the car lowered perhaps :? othervise no idea .... old soft springs perhaps ???

front anti roll bar link arms .... the plastic and ruber parts ore worn dovn ...it mowes around lightly ...... and vhen gouing ower hols ...well it knocs like hell ..that is prety much that :(

If its the rear that all over the place it could be your beam bushes, you will need to drop the axle down to get a good look at the state of them.

How To Here: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure you should not have a 8mm gap under the top cups though, I don't remember mine having much of a gap at all.

But assuming you got the strut together OK and the spring top plate and rubber top mount sit under the circlip OK I cant see much can be wrong really.

As boospuma says though check out your drop links at the front as they are a common source of knocking and cheap as chips to swap out.

the rear shock should have a rubber top mount on top that sandwiches against the underside of the car. on top ( in the boot ) sits the metal cup, thereshould be a gap on top as this is what allows for side to side movement.

Im getting far too much movement tho?

Maybe ill have to check the bushes out see if thats where im getting banging

All through the forums though some people say there should be a gap, others say there shouldnt be a gap, and some say they havent got a gap in their car

I checked my mums KA too and theres a gap but about 4mm likes yours

ive got a feeling its the axle bushes that are gone, and ill probably end up hanging myself about half way through the job

Back