Rear Suspension Top Mounts

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLaw

Hi all,

What would it take / cause to damage a rear suspension top mount to such a degree that the circlip on the suspension strut would travel past its required point?

Quite a bit I suspect - there's a metal collar in there that the circlip holds down. Not sure how you would open it up enough to allow the circlip free passage through it!

I would have thought that either the shock push-rod is too thin (ie - wrong shock type for the car) or the top mount collar is too large (wrong top mount).

When you put the top mount over the push-rod, there should be very little rattle room - it should be a close fit. If not, one or other of the parts must be wrong.

Exactly.

The suspension is GMAX and the top mounts are Ford originals and somehow (according to Mountney (GMAX)) the suspension problem I am having is related to a faulty top mount which has allowed the following to happen:

photo6.jpg

AshLaw said:
[post]357062[/post] Hi all,

What would it take / cause to damage a rear suspension top mount to such a degree that the circlip on the suspension strut would travel past its required point?
Doing something like this I would imagine :lol:

Latest posts

Back