Rounded Nut. Bu**er

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilDiggle

Hi All,
I write this message in a bit of frustration.

Today I had planned three things for the puma:

1. Remove original Ford battery and fit with new one
2. Drain Oil Sump, Remove Oil Filter, Put new filter on and fill with oil.
3. Change Air Filter.

I've completed two of three.

So, it turns out the Oil Sump Plug is well and truely stuck in. I put on a 1/2 inch socket set and it wasn't budging. I called out a Mobile Mechanic because I didn't want to round off the head. Mobile Mechanic came out and rounded off the head with his tools but didn't have any tools for removing rounded heads. I've gone out and bought some mole grips, but I can't seem to budge the damn thing.

Is there another way I can try? I'm trying to not go out and buy loads of tools because I haven't really got the money to do that. I'm a bit dubious of using a chisel, Because I can't really reach with a hammer and I don't want to miss and crack the sump. Do you know of a really super dooper tool that you can put me to online?

Is there anyone in the Northampton Area that would be willing to lend a hand? I'm in Daventry, but I'm sure my car could make it to meet somewhere in Northamptonshire or if anyone would be kind enough to call out? Like I said I don't have much cash so it'll be a favour if poss? I could give you the following in return:
8 years worth of Graphic and Web Design experience/service
Long supplies of Tea or Coffee

Any help?!

EDIT: Forgot to say, the oil was pretty much empty in the car so not sure how it got to that stage. If I can't get the sump plug out but take the oil filter out and put the new one on - can I just top it up with Oil without taken the bottom of the sump out and hope for the best??

These are what you need my friend.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Damaged-Bolt-Remover-Set-10pce-Extractor-Removal-Set-/310216660884?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item483a5a9794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll need a 13mm one, unless it's really rounded then hammer on a 12mm. Try a local car parts place, they often have tools like these on the shelf. Work really well, cuts it's own thread in the opposite direction to the plug so the more you push the more grip it has. You'll need a new sump plug and washer also remember.

And yes you'd be better getting it fixed properly don't just top it up. It rounded and low on oil coz it's not been changed in ages and not even checked. Replace the oil filter too.

Thanks for the link. Was just looking at some Irwin ones I could pick up in MachineMart but they're £23 nearly plus means a trip to Coventry. I tried the car shop in Daventry (that's where I am) and they only one they had was to put in a drill. Halfords didn't have any either.

That was the plan was to change the oil filter originally but can't get past the sump plug haha.

Beware the mole grips, they tend to chew up and skew off, IMO stilsons are a better choice as they grip tighter as you pull harder, but if you have already chewed it then time to drill the bolt and use extractors.

get a blow torch on the nut or something... that should help... just make sure the oil don't set alight!

Cheers Martin, you're about an hour away from me. Picking up a tool tomorrow to see if it'll help. If not what time would you be around tomorrow night? Hopefully the puma will make the distance (shouldn't see why not, covered 3000 miles on it before tinkering haha)

Home after 5 working on the gf's honda civic,got tool to undo sump nut,get 1 as might aswell change oil at mine while here.....

Cheers. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow if that's ok? Got plenty of oil ready to go in and two spare plugs! As well as the filter I'm yet to put on haha

I had the same problem myself a while ago, and I was really averse to spending £20 + for a tool I would more than likely never use again, plus the possibility it wouldnt work and I would have to fork out for something else.It made sense to swallow my pride and pay £10 for the local garage to do it for me.
Good luck with it

I bought them, still wouldnt shift mine, it ended up just machining another 2mm off the bolt, ended up having to carefully drill the washer out from behind and beating the living daylights out of it with a chisel. (being v careful not to damage the sump).

Simon

Just want to say...

A BIG BIG BIG thank you to martinthrapston for helping me out tonight! At least it wasn't just me having difficulty getting the bleeder out!

Luckily enough the Irwin Bolt Grip's came in handy in the end!

Cheers pal, I owe you a pint. :)

Oh, and loved the roads on the way home. Sat Nav took me off the A14 and through Watford, West Haddon etc. Roads empty, twisty and quite speedy. :lol:

Back