Rust/paint/under seal removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d170sam

Ok so some of you may follow my puma thread, at the moment I'm repairing and re painting the underside of the car, tbh I'm getting pretty tired of spending days lying on my back using power tools to strip back the floor pan to bare metal, does any one know of any chemicals I can simply paint on and let it strip all the paint off and get down to good metal with minimal effort, any help or other ideas would be greatfully received, many thanks, sam

best would be to pay to get it shotblasted

blasting not only cleans but keys the surface for required for paint adhesion, with (if you do it straight away) minimal corrosion and contamination before coating.

if you just wire brush with a dirty brush and leave to stand the paint has no key to adhere to, this with the combination of contamination and any oxidization will cause coating failure, ie you likley to be doing it again in 2-3 years time or less if you or unlucky.

That sounds good, I'm guessing there is no such thing as a mobile shot blaster I.e having done at my house?!

yes there are mobile companies but expect a bit of dust and sweeping up afterwards, if you can find somewhere who will do at a premises would be easier. Just check they have done cars before so they dont blast the hell out of it.

Hi,
Blasting will get the best resutls you might find a few holes and thin metal afterwards. The latest form of blasting on the market is soda blasting, I have heard this gives better results.
Rest of luck.
Regards,
Richard.

soda is quite gentle but will only key if mixed with another abrasive, the advantage is its water soluable so cleaning up is easier however its quite a dusty process due to the fine abrasive. Best would be a normal blast with fine stone grit , low blast pressure and smallish nozzle for minimum mess.

you can buy suction guns blast but they require a lot of airflow (min 20cfm i would say) to make them work, dont be fooled by the quoted air consumption figures

Put your car on a spit you can they access it easterly.there is a chemical that you brush on . It softens underseal and paint and allows you to pull it of in strips I will try to find out for you Regards mredd65

Hi Sam
Tbh there's not much paint or underseal on the floorpans, most of it is in etch primer which cleans up nicely with petrol on lots of cloths. The outside of the floorpans from the sills to about 12" in is covered in a thick rubberised sealant which comes off fairly easily with a wire brush on a drill.
Barry

Thanks guys, in the end I just persevered with the wire wheels, it took a very long time but the car is very nearly done :)

Back