Rusty fuel tank - salvageable or need to replace?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T8025

Hi,

Last week my fuel pump died, ordered new one based on VIN and word of 2 people that were 100% it will fit, obviously it didn't. So while I'm waiting for a replacement, I've decided to sort out rust on my fuel tank.

As of now, there were no leaks from the fuel tank.

I've chiseled, scraped and brushed and cleaned most of the surface rust (still some to go), to see the extend of the corrosion. My plan is to clear the rest with some rust removal stuff, paint with anti-rust primer and spray paint the tank.

Most of the rust was on the top of the tank, bottom seems healthy wit just a few specks here or there.

But before I continue, I'd like a second opinion on few sections that seem to be a bit critical, if it wouldn't be better to replace the whole tank. I'd prefer not to, as I'm between jobs right now and a bit strapped for cash and can't just splurge another 250 €. If it holds for another year or so, it's fine as I have another job lined up.

The worst corrosion seems to be on the left and right lip, and around the filler and vent hose attachments. (Keep in mind, I didn't have time to remove all rust).

Before:
IMG_20240422_134328.jpg

After:
IMG_20240422_150510.jpg

Critical parts:
IMG_20240422_141251.jpgIMG_20240422_141259.jpgIMG_20240422_152958.jpg

Hi.
It is hard to assess based on a picture. The rust tends to be terminal if it gets in the seams and the tank starts weeping. Fix this one up - bilt hamber do a top notch rust converter and keep an eye on it.
Worth saying that ford do not do new ones and half decent second hand are in short supply. Also bear in mind that there are two types of tank, swap over about November 1999. This may be why your fuel pump did not fit. Strangely the later tanks seem harder to source than the early ones.
Happy hunting.

That does look bad, if in doubt, swap it out.
What worries me is that in cleaning off the rust you may have caused the tank to leak !

I went through the same saga, took tank off and cleaned it then painted it then found pinhole. Tried to seal pinhole with 'stop leak' epoxy stuff but it still leaked.

After all that I gave up and fitted a new tank, it wasn't horribly expensive though - £80ish if I recall.

I did have the fuel sender issue though where the sender clashed with the bottom of the tank (swirl pot?) and gave a false reading. Haven't got around to fixing it yet!

Thanks all for the replies!

Typically I'd order a new one to have a peace of mind, but due to unexpected few weeks of unemployment this month, I'm in a frugal mood. Thankfully I'm starting my new job in May, but I'm still a bit reluctant to throw more money than needed in this project. Usually I'd wait, but my puma is out of her garage and parked under the stars, so waiting a good month or so might produce more issues, as there are some rusty spots and bits I have to tackle soon.

I only found one aftermarket tank that supposedly fits for 250€, so decided to give it a try first with de-rusting, cleaning and painting.

Chiseled, scraped and brushed most of the remaining rust in those critical parts away, treated with some rust removing gel that didn't do much, so I bought some 85% phosphoric acid, smeared it over rust 3 times and in between brushed with 240grit sandpaper. It was a bit rushed job as I didn't have much time on my hands, just wanted to see how far I get and if this tank still has a fighting chance.

I'm quite pleased with the results, as those critical parts still seem to have some healthy metal underneath. I've also checked from the inside, so far it seems inside is completely healthy. I still need to finish cleaning remaining rust (probably won't bother doing it completely), then anti-rust primer and spray paint.
I figure I'll manage buy this tank at least 2 more years of working properly, but time will tell :)
IMG_20240426_191352.jpgIMG_20240426_191357.jpgIMG_20240426_191417.jpg
IMG_20240426_191346.jpg

Thanks all for the replies!

Typically I'd order a new one to have a peace of mind, but due to unexpected few weeks of unemployment this month, I'm in a frugal mood. Thankfully I'm starting my new job in May, but I'm still a bit reluctant to throw more money than needed in this project. Usually I'd wait, but my puma is out of her garage and parked under the stars, so waiting a good month or so might produce more issues, as there are some rusty spots and bits I have to tackle soon.

I only found one aftermarket tank that supposedly fits for 250€, so decided to give it a try first with de-rusting, cleaning and painting.

Chiseled, scraped and brushed most of the remaining rust in those critical parts away, treated with some rust removing gel that didn't do much, so I bought some 85% phosphoric acid, smeared it over rust 3 times and in between brushed with 240grit sandpaper. It was a bit rushed job as I didn't have much time on my hands, just wanted to see how far I get and if this tank still has a fighting chance.

I'm quite pleased with the results, as those critical parts still seem to have some healthy metal underneath. I've also checked from the inside, so far it seems inside is completely healthy. I still need to finish cleaning remaining rust (probably won't bother doing it completely), then anti-rust primer and spray paint.
I figure I'll manage buy this tank at least 2 more years of working properly, but time will tell :)
View attachment 12223View attachment 12224View attachment 12225
View attachment 12222
I've used rust converter, followed by zinc primer, normal primer then a decent top coat on rusty bits over the years, seems to last a reasonable time, out of sight stuff under the car l, I then coat with Bilt Hamber under body wax.

Latest posts

Back