Stereo upgrade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coachwhip

Since getting my puma, I've not done anything to it, hardly even looked under the bonnet.

However got this week off work so made a start on it, already repaired the damage from the slight bump I had. Thanks Stu for the parts.

Have now fitted most of the stereo system, using some old bits I've had for a while plus some cheap eBay bargains.
So I now have an Alpine DVD head unit, hooked up to Alpine sat nav. Also 8"rear screens, though these are too big and the headrests are the wrong colour. IPod connected to stereo, usable from the head unit. 6.5" diamond audio components in the front doors, standard rear speakers and an 8" sub in boot.

IMG_20150311_171925.jpg
IMG_20150311_152629.jpg
IMG_20150311_171932.jpg

I've got the 12v to 5v converter wired in, just need to mount a usb socket now. Also got to wire the dashcam in to ignition power. Once these are done next plan is to try to fit 8" sub's in the rear boxes so I can free up the boot space.
Still a lot of tidying and more soundproofing to do but I'm happy it's getting there.
Also toying with the idea of sticking a raspberry pi in there for a media server. I've got a pi and also spare hard drive. Have a touch screen coming for it but unsure where to mount it. Maybe in roof by interior light.

Hello whip..
Glad you`ve managed to get the car fixed up :grin:

You got some pretty serious sounds going on there, Not seen an epic ICE project for a while,
I`ll watch (listen to) this one progress

I want a fixed usb socket in both my van and track car.
Where did you get the 12v/5v convertor and fixed usb sockets from?

I use these in RC planes. should be able to wire a usb socket to one. they supply up to 2A so will charge an ipad no problems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FPV-1-2G-5-8G-Telemetry-12V-5V-Swithcable-BEC-Power-Module-2-6S-Metal-Shel-/281552878304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item418ddbfae0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lusid666 said:
I use these in RC planes. should be able to wire a usb socket to one. they supply up to 2A so will charge an ipad no problems
2A is a bit high for iPads, etc which usually have a charge 1A. 2Amps is for other tablets, etc.

trublustu said:
Hello whip..
Glad you`ve managed to get the car fixed up :grin:

You got some pretty serious sounds going on there, Not seen an epic ICE project for a while,
I`ll watch (listen to) this one progress

I want a fixed usb socket in both my van and track car.
Where did you get the 12v/5v convertor and fixed usb sockets from?

Try something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-12V...587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a3b0a041b. That's for a 5amp one, you can get 3 amp as well.
Then I will be using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTICOMP...t=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item1e7f49e38f, if you bridge the center connectors then the item to be charged should see it as a power socket and draw full power. The outer ones are plus and minus from the convertor. Just gotta check which is which before I put it in.

Sounds pretty good so far, few rattles but I know I need to soundproof more, stopped the front speakers catching the door trims now. I've got a Phoenix gold amp coming (27 inc p&p), eBay bargain. Then once that arrives and I get chance I'll be putting that under drivers seat and using that to power subs, while I hook up rear speakers to current amp.

Frank said:
lusid666 said:
2A is a bit high for iPads, etc which usually have a charge 1A. 2Amps is for other tablets, etc.
The thing with amperage values is that it's the highest amount of amps that a device can deliver. If you plug in something that only requires 500ma then that is all that will be delivered to that device. I would rather have a 2a supply and not need it than use a 500ma supply and need more.

Your house electricity wall sockets (assuming you live in the UK) supply 13A but your home appliances wont need anything like as higher current as that, they will only pull what they need.

lusid666 said:
I would rather have a 2a supply and not need it than use a 500ma supply and need more.
My car USB socket is 2A as well, for my stuff.

But I seem to recall some iPhone/iPad discussions where they were all saying 1A for them. Maybe they have delicate electronics in them on the charging side or something. Would make sense, not like they're the same as a household kettle or toaster.

coachwhip said:
I've got a Phoenix gold amp coming (27 inc p&p), eBay bargain. Then once that arrives and I get chance I'll be putting that under drivers seat and using that to power subs, while I hook up rear speakers to current amp.

That was a steal! Pheonix gold for 27 GBP?!? Wow! :grin:

Wild E. Coyote said:
coachwhip said:
I've got a Phoenix gold amp coming (27 inc p&p), eBay bargain. Then once that arrives and I get chance I'll be putting that under drivers seat and using that to power subs, while I hook up rear speakers to current amp.

If it arrives that is, think I'm going to have to complain to eBay. Not here yet and it's been a few days. Think they didn't want it to go so cheap

Frank said:
lusid666 said:
I would rather have a 2a supply and not need it than use a 500ma supply and need more.
My car USB socket is 2A as well, for my stuff.

But I seem to recall some iPhone/iPad discussions where they were all saying 1A for them. Maybe they have delicate electronics in them on the charging side or something. Would make sense, not like they're the same as a household kettle or toaster.

I have a 2A usb in the car and 2 3A usb3's on my computer and have been charging my iphone and ipad on both of them for well over a year with no problems. :)

Can't overcharge most electronic stuff over USB - however the heat generated by charging is more likely to cause problems ie leaving on charge for long periods of time

coachwhip said:
Wild E. Coyote said:
coachwhip said:

If it arrives that is, think I'm going to have to complain to eBay. Not here yet and it's been a few days. Think they didn't want it to go so cheap

Has the amp arrived yet?

No not arrived, don't think they wanted to sell it so cheap. Still reported to eBay now.

Got my USB ports in now, plus wired up dash cam to ignition so always on while driving.
Also finally fixed the door open light, was broken plastic on boot switch.

IMG_20150322_144907.jpg

Another update, started fitting second amp and moved first.

First amp under drivers seat. Little more to do to tidy wires.
IMG_20150516_154824.jpg

Second amp in boot folded up.
IMG_20150516_154857.jpg

And folded down with access to equaliser.
IMG_20150516_154914.jpg

And finally, fuses from main feed. Again little tidy still needed but getting there now.
IMG_20150516_154941.jpg

Yes all working fine. Sounds nice now, but still looking for decent bargain on 8" sub's on eBay. Want jl audio 8w3 but I'll settle for something cheaper for time being. Once I get them I can ditch the sub box in boot and build them into rear speaker boxes.
Got eBay 7 pound reverse camera in now, which is pretty good actually. Oh and only ripped apart one puma headrest to fit screen, other yet to do.

Back