subwoofer powering spikes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihalyn90

Hello,

Short on:
Subwoofer, positive, negative and REM cables.

Positive with 60A fuse directly to battery
Negative in trunk to the chassis

REM to my player Remote Antenna :) it's ok... well on power off it cut's the woofer too, so it is off.

Well my battery died, got a new one. Installed, positive first, then the negative. All fine...

I had the fuse removed from the woofer cable, so, when i attached it, it made a little spike. That means that, even with the woofer powered off, it is consuming the battery.

Or is this normal? how much mA should it have on stand by?

Thanks,

The total ignition off standby battery drain on a Puma needs to be ≤ 50mA. Any more than that and you're in a fast drain position.

Sounds like you need to do a parasitic drain test to see what you're dealing with. Don't forget to wedge back the door switch or else you start a timer cycle in the ECU that will throw your readings out every time you open the drivers door. This applies even when the interior lights are off.

For info on how to do the test (you only need a standard multimeter) check out someone like ErictheCarGuy on YT.

I tried the multimeter, but got zero... maybe bad coupling but nothing was showing up... ok i'll do the parasitic test today... i'll have to go to a service too for the battery warranty anyway, and i'll ask them about it...

yet i don't know if the little spikes are ok or not when connecting the woofer...

mihalyn90 said:
[post]351000[/post] ok i'll do the parasitic test today...
Yeah, let me know what parasitic drain figures you get. Depending on the size of the drain, you can work around it. Otherwise you end up with a dead/flat battery.

i went to a local shop... doctor battery... they tested out my battery, and consumption, charging etc and said i am completely fine :)

But anyway I'll check the sub consumption tomorrow on standy... Contacted the manufacturer and said it shouldn't be bigger then 5ma

Back