Sump plug spanner size

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunch1980

In Jacko's helpful how to he mentions to use a 1/2" spanner, but then will not be able to do up to correct torque or is it best to just nip it up then check after?

I need to buy either a 1/2" spanner or a 1/2" socket to do my oil change. Also need to check the oil filter is long one, does anyone know how tall the correct oil filter should be?

Has he suggested a 1/2" so its a bit more cosy and less likely to slip?

Not sure I'd have used imperial on one for any other reason.

a 13mm will round the edges Tom (can use it but after 3 goes your sump bolt will be knackered!)

believe it; 1/2 inch for sump nut, engine mount to cylinder head bracket....er theres a few imperials on the suspension too, frp brakes are riddled with imperial (even tho Alcon is in Tamworth!

its because their american and gits! oh but get this; ALWAYS a metric thread....even when the head is imperial!!!! F^ck£r$!!!

If you say so, I've always found that the metrics fit anything I've needed to take off. I've not done any work on my Alcons yet but it wouldn't surprise me on the four pots! And I can more than believe metric thread on an imperial head

Thanks will get an imperial 1/2" spanner or socket what ever is cheapest and just nip it up after, changed plenty of car and bike oils in my time to know when not to turn to much and crack sump lol.

your right tom, you can use a 13 but it will round the edges a bit, bit more next time, then next time.....then someone comes on here saying something like 'f%^*&^% mechanics / rounded bolts....'

and its because they haven't been using the right spanner. we are talking approx 12.6mm for 1/2 inch but technically using a 13 is the wrong tool for the job and if your gonna keep the car its worth doing all the jobs with the right tools to keep your life as easy as possible in the long run

yeh but its not a case of being 'worried'....its a case of getting there one day and the bloody thing won't undo because the wrong tool has knackered it!

I did not expect quite the debate about it when I posted but its good to know all this. Though think I will agree with Jacko and get a 1/2" spanner/socket. Had similar before on motorbike fasteners where imperial seemed to fit better!

quest63 said:
Mine rounded off with a 13mm spanner :shock:

Eeek not good I guess if you know you un-done it before be ok, its when you dont know who changed it last and when, I find it hard to believe when talking to others how long they leave between oil changes etc.

I always used to have pretty much new motorbikes so knew from off it be ok and each time it undo easily.

I'll be using a 1/2" socket when I next drop the oil and filter. This is something about the sump plug I've noticed on various cars and motorbikes I've worked on over the years. Much better to use the nearest equivalent imperial socket/spanner as you get a tighter fit and are less likely to round the head off on the plug I was trying to remove.

An old mechanic told me about it a few years back and I thought he was trying to make me look stupid - you know another, "can you go to stores and get me a packet of sky hooks" moment!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Really does work though, although might be an idea to buy a spare sump plug and washer just incase (especially considering how cheap they are)!

If imperial fits then usually its not a metric nut or bolt, 1/2 may just squeeze on but everything else probably won't. Try squeezing a 3/8 socket on a 10mm nut

yeh but ford are american....and gits!!!

come on....someone get the ford cd service thingy out and tell us 'officially' what size it is.....!

I find this a pain an all workshop.haynes manuals even proper manufacuters work shop manuals they never show szie of tool needed, would think it should assuming its the original bolt etc.
The time I have attempted to do something but started then found did not have correct socket etc ahhhh! lol

Well I have 13mm socket so will get a 1/2" and see which on mine fits best!!!

Done oil/filter change today. Used a 13mm socket 6-sided fit perfect as mine was not rounded off at all a 1/2 seemed to loose.
Jacked up a tad all done in an hour or less, filter was not to tight. Filled up with mobil fully synth 3000 something or other with the long halfords oil filter.
Thanks for all the advice, now will check level after lunch and top up if need be.

Back