Suspension and (poly)bushes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

When I had my MOT, I had some advisories regarding some of the suspension bushes:

* Nearside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.3)
* Offside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.3)
*Rear axle beam bushes slightly worn and deteriorated resulting in slight movement

I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension with lowering springs and new standard shocks all round.
So, while it's all apart, I want to change all of the bushes too.

What are peoples thoughts on this set of Polys:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120529749...49676&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1
Am I going to be having an exceptionally hard ride if I Poly all of the bushes?

Any advice on what is best to change and what to would be greatly appreciated... suspension is a whole new area for me! :roll:

I can see where your coming from wanting to do it all at one time,but I would suggest you just do your springs and shocks first and see how the ride suits you. I believe some people found just the Poly rear beam bushes on their own too hard

Alternatively try and get a drive in a Puma thats had all those mods.

It would be a shame to do all that work and for it to spoil your car for you.

Along with the new shocks I'll put in new top mounts.

I have knocking from the rear when going over the slightest lump or bump in the road, so I really want to do the back end in one go, and only once.
If it's possible polys on the rear may be too harsh, I may just plump for standard bushes and then the rear will be all done and dusted.

I'm doing pretty much the same, new rubber all round with new dampers and -30mm springs. My thoughts were to try and get back to the original handling for a road car and if I have to change them every 3/5 years then thats fine for me too.
On the down side poly bushes are much easier to fit than rubbers, but nothing a bit of washing up liquid won't sort.
Not to forget that upgrading bushes is an insurance premium modifier, and we all know which way it goes.

I've put powerflex poly bushes on mine and you get a firm ride plus lots if road noise. The handling however is nice and tight and the car feels more planted. You pay's your money............

I have a set of AP,s in the garage ready to fit and am in the same boat with advisories on front lower and rear beam bushes. Been doing a bit of reaserch on the matter as I didn't want it too firm and have decided to go with poly's on the front and standard on the rear.

My Puma is currently our only car and with two little ones to cart about everywhere I need a compromise with handling and ride comfort. Am planning on running the AP,s just under maximum ride height which should also keep it fairly supple - wont get the car on the drive otherwise lol :lol:

lb81 said:
My Puma is currently our only car and with two little ones to cart about everywhere I need a compromise with handling and ride comfort.
I currently have a 'semi-small' one and one due early next year, so I totally agree.

I have some problems with speed humps where I live and my local petrol station has a steep hump leading to the forecourt. I can currently get up it from that side of the road, but if I try from the opposite side of the road (driving in straight up) I break the front of the car... :-( I just need to be more practical where I fill up!

I had also thought about fitting an upper and lower strutt brace to the front. Would doing this and fitting Polys on the front make the front rather hard...?

topmansparkie said:
lb81 said:
My Puma is currently our only car and with two little ones to cart about everywhere I need a compromise with handling and ride comfort.
I currently have a 'semi-small' one and one due early next year, so I totally agree.

I have some problems with speed humps where I live and my local petrol station has a steep hump leading to the forecourt. I can currently get up it from that side of the road, but if I try from the opposite side of the road (driving in straight up) I break the front of the car... :-( I just need to be more practical where I fill up!

I had also thought about fitting an upper and lower strutt brace to the front. Would doing this and fitting Polys on the front make the front rather hard...?

Feels good being able to manage with a 'small' coupe when everyone else I know with 1 or more children have all traded up to larger, more expensive and way less interesting motors :grin:

I'm a bit worried about the drop on the AP's even wound right out TBH, my drive way is mega steep, I have a feeling they will all have to get out before I will be able to drive up it :?

I am also thinking lower brace, but feel if i did that I would go with standard bushes on the front as well... ideally It would be good to blag a ride with someone who has a similar set up to see what the rides like (if there is anyone local hint, hint :wink: ).

Would also be even more worried about ground clearance as I have seen pics of them fitted and they look pretty low...

I would say I would maybe try an upper brace, but I have plans for the engine and want to keep as much space as possible before I start drilling holes in the mounts...

I bought lower wishbones and droplinks for our Multipla from that seller and the quality seems very good, I have done a few thousand miles since fitting and no complaints. Hope this helps I know it's not the same car :grin:

I've also just fitted Floflex orange rear beam bushes in my Puma and it has transformed it! with no noticable increase in road noise. It also handles like a dream now with the ride being unaffected in my view :wink:

I fitted some new bushes a couple of weeks ago, the bushes I used were powerflex for the rear beam and front antiroll bar bushes, and racing puma bushes for the rear lower wishbone. Here are my thoughts:

Firstly, Topmansparkie, I used to have the same problem bottoming out on speedbumps where my milltek exhaust manifold would scrape them, I can honestly say this problem has not occured since.
I had previously been getting through a set of front Toyos every 5000 miles, and even though I had the tracking done each time it continually wore the inside inch bald before the rest of the tyre was even at 50%. It was suggested by a highly regarded motorsport garage that saggy bushes were the problem. I will give an update as to whether this has fixed the problem.
Yes, the powerflex bushes increase the harshness of jolts in the road as it does the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) but it has made the car feel sooooo much more planted. The main reason I had it done was when the back end stepped out on me, unprovoked (I had only just left home, the car wasn't up to temperature and I was not ragging it as such) on dry tarmac recently, a proper brown trouser jobbie. Now, I feel more confident in the back end of the car, as it had been before you could feel it trying to move around when cornering. The front end is totally transformed as well. Where before I had to drive it delicately for fear of wheelspin, now I can get significantly more power down. This is most noticable from the lack of wheelspin I used to get consistently while pulling away from standstill whilst turning, I have not noticed this at all since.

To conclude: replacing the bushes was definately well worth doing, if not just for driver enjoyment then for safety as well. The sacrifice of added harshness is tolerable for the the confidence I have gained in my Puma's handling ability.

pipcars said:
I bought lower wishbones and droplinks for our Multipla from that seller and the quality seems very good, I have done a few thousand miles since fitting and no complaints. Hope this helps I know it's not the same car :grin:
I've also just fitted Floflex orange rear beam bushes in my Puma and it has transformed it! with no noticable increase in road noise. It also handles like a dream now with the ride being unaffected in my view :wink:
Good news about the quality. Funds very tight, so making savings are good!
Where did you get the FloFlex bushes from? I can't find much about them on the net...
EDIT: Found them..... I should learn to spell! :oops:

@skint... thanks for all the info.. that's exactly the sort of information I need!! :eek:k:

Back