The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Arch Bishop said:
CherryVimto said:
YES you should!
Would be great to see that lovely cat for real!

Congrats on the MOT! :thumbs:
My fear is that in the flesh, you may find Jegger a bit disappointing. He is far from super tidy.
Yeah... and?

Mine will probably be the worst there!

Oil change done today! Genuine Ford filter and oil - don't think I'll bother going OE for this again as it was certainly more expensive than usual.

The oil that came out was pretty clean as Jegger's only done 3k miles since the last change, but it was done in 2012 so I though it best really!

One other thing to consider for those wanting to lower their Puma, even for a 30mm drop you need to use axle stands to get under it which is added faff. Before the drop, I just needed to raise it 1/2" to get the oil catcher underneath. Not really seeing a great deal of benefit to lowering to be honest!

Which Ford oil did you use?

I got 5 litres of Formula F for £22, and then used a Mehr oil filter which I got as bundle of all four filters.

Think it was Formula F - can't remember the price, but certainly wasn't on special when I bought it (a while ago). Think they're doing it at a discount at the moment just to annoy me... :roll:

The last service I did I used Commar oil and Wix filters and, including a pollen filter, it came to well under £30.

Wow!!! I've just read this for inspiration for my project I'm gettin on Saturday, a 2001 Puma Black, what a effing good write up...and I feel as I've been thru the highs and the lows of Jeggar.

Quick question, did you have to plug a diagnostic system in to reset the airbag warning light? My project has TC and ABS lights on..and didn't know if I have to plug in to reset the lights like on my old mk4 golf..

Thanks

Warren

Yes this is a truly fantastic thread. It's unlikely that your airbag/tc lights will have raised a trouble code that you'll see. It'll clear once the fault is resolved and you take it for a drive.

Thanks. Will be having a good old look this weekend...if I'm allowed. I'm moving house on Friday too, so lots to do,

All Exciting times tho

Cheers for the encouragement! I've enjoyed keeping a log of my Puma ownership even when it's been a pain in the arse. This forum is a both a godsend and a curse - I'd have probably stopped a long time ago if I wasn't on here. I'd have saved a big stack of cash though... :lol:

I've a day of tinkering set aside tomorrow where I'm going to investigate my gearbox (I tested the oil level the other day whilst doing the service and never did find it) and possibly refit the front bumper. If I have time, I'm also going to see if I can even up the panel gaps on the front wings and bonnet. One side is very tight and the other is so wide that you can almost check the fuses without opening the bonnet at all.

Well, first job was the gearbox oil. A quick trip to the motor shop for a few bottles of 75w 90, two feet of tubing and a small funnel and I was ready to go. Remember that the capacity of the gearbox for oil is around 2.5 litres - Jegger swallowed 1.5 litres.... WHich is probably why 5th gear is shot. I went for a quick test drive to find that the box is a little sweeter and 5th is a little less hit and miss.

On to the bumper and wing alignment and with a bit of jiggery pokery, managed to get the little fin on the bumper sitting more flush with the wing.

bumper-fitting_zpse5b7dbea.jpg

Some further tinkering with the wings and I managed to get an improvement on the panel gaps. The offside is a lot more uniform;

offside-panel-gap_zpse7553cc5.jpg

The nearside isn't quite so good but much better than it was. I ran out of adjustment at this;

nearside-panel-gap_zpsd479ce79.jpg

Also put in my tax disc which arrived today. All in all, pretty productive!

I have the same issue with gaps at the bonnet haven't got round to doing anything about it yet lol

I admire your determination with this car :thumbs:

Where do you find these things Rick?! :lol:

I think it's the bonnet that's seriously out of whack, but I don't have the expertise to get it right.

Back