Undersealing

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H14 RUD

I have just spent the whole week undersealing the beast, have done all four arches ,the time consuming bit was removing the arch liners. These had never been removed before and all the bolts etc were pretty solid.
I also removed the spare wheel and did the cradle that holds the wheel and everything from the back to the rear beam, not sure if I should do the petrol tank? (any advice )

All areas have had 2 coats and I have not replaced the arch liners I also put seam sealer were the inner arch meets the outer arch.

Arches were rust free which I know is genuine as our family have had the car virtually from new. For a 13 year old car (she) is in really good condition with minimal extras apart from Ford mudflaps front and back , Puma sill protectors , Puma mats and clear side repeaters.

What next!!

Just enjoy and keep her serviced and tidy?....not been an owner very long, but the more I read about 'mods' the more I think i'll let her do what she was designed to do, make me smile and not frighten the sh#t out of me...or cost me an arm and a leg to keep on the road, at age 54 Iseem to have found a near perfect car that I can afford to keep in top nick.... Will upgrade the head unit, rear speakers and possibly some sound deadening, maybe.....but for now its enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.....

ive covered the inside panels with waxoyl where the inner arch seam and going to sound deaden it next, stripped out rear seats. wheres a good place to get some carpet ?

alexc1983 said:
ive covered the inside panels with waxoyl where the inner arch seam and going to sound deaden it next, stripped out rear seats. wheres a good place to get some carpet ?

If like me you have removed the arch liners why not use them ? ( I hosed mine down to remove all the mud etc).

Hi! I've recently bought my first puma and this is one of the jobs on my to-do list! How many fixings is there holding the rear arch linings in? How long did it take you to remove one of the rear linings?

My Puma, like yours, is in a really good condition and I want to do what I can to keep it that way! Undersealing to prevent the common rear arch rot is my first priority! :lol:

Well done for keeping the car in good nick. My arch linings will be coming out soon, i'd recommend it as it adds to the rear arch rotting because they hold so much water when theyre wet

It only takes a few minutes to remove a liner if the torques arent rusted in,You might need to replace one or two or the cicular nut thingymabobs or torques though.Also you'll have to cut the liner (about an inch) to remove it from around the brake pipe bracket.

It'll take longer to clean it than take it off

So once I've removed the liners, cleaned and under sealed the rear arches should I refit the liners???? I was reading one of the threads were someone trimmed their liners so they didn't go right up to the inside of the arch - I suppose to try and prevent it rusting from the inside out.

I've even thought about trying to find some kind of flexible waterproofing to coat the liners to prevent them being so absorbent before refitting them!

Or is it best just to underseal the rear arches and bin the liners?! :?

Any ideas/options are welcome!

Iv trimmed my liners. I would replace then as they act as a shield to stop water going into your engine bay and behind the wings and sills

Well I finally got round to undersealing my rear arches. I'm pleased to report that both arches were in excellent condition, without any rust and Ford had done an excellent job of sealing the wheel arch seam (that everyone complains about)!

A couple of good coats of undercoat later (and a week to let it dry whilst we were away on holiday) and I've refitted the wheel arch liners.

HOWEVER, I made the mistake of taking some advice about trimming about one inch from the edge of the liner so that it wouldn't rest against the inner seam and act as a muck collector. BIG MISTAKE as the liner does not fit properly now and the liner now floats about one inch off the wheel arch itself at the furthest points away from the six fixings that hold it. This means that it would allow dirt to collect between the liner and the arch itself which is no good. :x

Needless to say I'm now after another set (in excellent condition) to replace the set I've trimmed! :'(

Its a good idea to strip out the rear cards and examine and treat the inside of the arches where the inner seams meet, it could be worse inside than outside :thumbs:

quest63 said:
Its a good idea to strip out the rear cards and examine and treat the inside of the arches where the inner seams meet, it could be worse inside than outside :thumbs:
My next job, once I've refitted another set of rear wheel arch liners! :roll:

Cover the tops of rear tyres before treating the arches from the inside. The "Waxoyl", I actually used Bilt Hamber dynax S50 in aerosols (these come with a long tube and 360 degree spray jet), will run out through any gaps onto the tyres/ground.
I had no rust, but if there had been, I would have first treated it with their hydrate 80 by putting it in a hand sprayer nozzle and "bodged" the S50 long tube to it.
Think about treating inside the sills as well - See my Pumapeople thread:
http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97645&st=0&p=863375&hl=treating&fromsearch=1&#entry863375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bilt Hamber:
http://www.bilthamber.com//index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I gave my arch liners a coating of suede waterproofing after cleaning them in the hope that they might not hold the water. Not on the road yet so can't report how effective it has been, but at worst I have wasted £3.50.

Back