Windows Media player MP3 disc burning help please

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumapilot

I try to burn my MP3 music files to disc using WMP 11, a blank disc holds 700mb of files, when i try to burn MP3 files to a disc the player shows that i can only burn 499mb and splits the further files into seperate discs?

Why when a 700mb disc is inserted into the disc burner, it only allows me to burn 499mb although WMP 11 shows disc as having 702mb free space?

I have a Vista laptop which burns discs with no problem, so why not WMP 11.

Check your options, see what's enabled - WMP can add a load of guff when burning MP3 music discs, shouldn't rob you of 200mb mind, but might be worth unticking "Add a list of all burned files to the disc in this format" and "Use media information to arrange burned files in folders on the data disc" and seeing if that makes any difference.

Thanks Rob, but where do i find these 'options', computer dumbass but i can follow instructions if i know where to look, seems like there is a 500mb limit on disc burner, but i cannot find it?

There should be a drop-down menu appear when you hit the blue "Burn" button - in this list there should be an item "More options"

attachment.php

Tried that, put disc in, clicked burn & put 696mb of songs into the burn list as a audio CD.

Player shows disc space in minutes as 79.57 but has 51.36 on last disc remaining & has split songs into 13 discs???

You don't want to be burning an audio CD though - you want to be burning a data CD (I assume your head unit can read MP3's?)

Or if you do want to burn your MP3s out as CDs which will play on any CD player, then it will take a lot of discs to burn 700mb of MP3s as the MP3 file format is compressed and will need to be uncompressed into native CD format (WAV) which is much bigger.

700mb MP3s does not equal 80 minutes of uncompressed native CD format.

When you play MP3s on your computer or MP3-capable player, the hardware decodes the compressed MP3 data in realtime. A normal CD player can't do this, so the data needs to be pre-uncompressed and saved in "raw" form to be playable.

Sony Generation 2 MP3 head unit fitted into my Fiesta ST, if i burn a Data file i can get my complete music libary onto 1 disc, but not sure if it would play in the car?

Need to check settings on Vista laptop to double check, as that burned MP3 CD's ok

Try burning out as a data disc without WMP guff options enabled and seeing how your head unit treats it. I doubt you'd be able to get your complete music library onto 1 disc, unless you have less than 700Mb of MP3s!!

Just put music files into burn list, disc says 702mb & i have 477 mb remaining, musis (MP3) file was 696mb

An MP3 album is normally between 65 and 70 Mbs, so you'll get about 10 albums or so on a 700 Mb disc Pete. That is if you've encoded the Mp3s at 128kb, if you drop the encoding rate to 64kb you'll obviously get more on a disc but with a lower quality.

Sure it's not 477Mb and not 477Kb, because that's about the size left on a disc with 696Mb used?

You want at least 128kpbs when ripping music from CD to MP3 / WMA / AAC / OGG / FLAC / whatever file format you prefer to use (I personally turn my nose up at anything less than 320kpbs), 32kbps would sound horrible (like a really low quality YouTube video - all warbly and like you were listening to it through a wall).

64kbps encoding example
320kbps encoding example

It shouldn't make any difference when burning a disc though - all you're doing is creating a regular data disc, like you would with photos or documents or whatever, but with just MP3s on it which your head unit should pick up and be able to play.

Normal CD qualityis about 192kbps so you'd get about 6 albums on an 80 min disc. If you use Nero, you can remove the 2 second gaps between tracks which will save a few more Mbs but not much.

128kbps set but it makes no difference to disc burn, i'll check the setings on the Vista laptop tomorrow

Pass the sledgehammer John this things doin' my head in

hotrodspike said:
Normal CD quality is about 192kbps
Just for future reference, CD quality is 1,411kpbs:

To calculate the bitrate for CD audio, you multiply the sample rate (44,100khz) by 2 channels (for stereo) and by 16 bits:

44,100 x 2 x 16 = 1,411,200 bits per second (bps) = 1,411 kbps

Latest posts

Back